Dry Stone Wall

treebogan

Treehouser
This week I have been building two Walls for a regular Tree customer.Its the first time I have build a Wall and have enjoyed the change.The Stones were either found in the Dirt when I cleaned off the face,or scrounged by me in the surrounding area.

This Wall is only decorative and was planned to be like the Walls that you see around here from the old days when Farmers used them to keep stock in.

I have finnished a day early,so am tagging alone with some blasters who are working down the road.In return for learning a bit more about explosives I am teaching them to splice Wire Rope.

Attachments

• Min Mur 004.jpg
    Min Mur 004.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 19
  • Min Mur 002.jpg
    Min Mur 002.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Min Mur 008.jpg
    Min Mur 008.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 14
We have some stone fences that have been around since who knows when. Farmers picked up stones so they wouldn't damage their equipment. When they were abundant they made fences of them. Split rails, Osage Orange, or prickly bushes were their other options - pre-barb wire.

I was looking for some pics of the stone fences I saw up in the Lake District of Great Britain. These ones in Ireland are pretty nice too.

Attachments

• pastoral-landscape_6792_600x450.jpg
    pastoral-landscape_6792_600x450.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 7
Dry stone walls are another passion of mine. Thanks for starting this thread, as I think it's a really cool subject.

I live in NH which is known as the Granite State. We have so many stones all over the place that is pretty is to find good ones. I own some custon hammers and other stone tools that help shape these tough stones.

Funny note from my neck of the woods. We have a lot of old stone walls about. They call them "Chinese Walls" even thought the Portuguese immigrants were primarily responsible for a large amount of them ;)

There's hundreds of miles of stone walls in central Victoria, just for fences originally and then to try and stop the rabbit plague.

The caps were to stop them getting over.

50lfz.jpg

nh6kc.jpg

... i've done lots of stone work ... mostly retainers around here ... love the fact that a few simple rules, a few simple tools, and yer going man! Once your eye for the the material sharpens the only limitation is how hard you want to work !

It seems like you are building something for eternity when you work with stone. When I was 7 I stacked up some stone and brick, just having fun. They stood for 30 years+, probably till my kids were fooling around in the area.

Love working with stone myself. One of my first good paying jobs and always an education on the power of a bar. A stone house is on my bucket list for my place in Vermont.

I've done some patio work with bricks. Don't mind it, and it is cool when it starts to take shape. I tried to start a business doing that once, but it never took off.

Plenty around here too. Though the earthquakes have knocked so many down into piles of stones today. As a kid the stone walls seemed to go on forever. Indeed some for miles at a wack.

During Vallejo's reign here hundreds of miles of stone walls were built in sonoma county. All out of lava rock. In the other counties I'm not sure.

I recall in the movie, "Shawshank Redemption", there was a part where Tim Rpbbins was telling Morgan Freeman about where he had stashed some money, if Freeman got out of prison and needed it. Something about going to a location and a particular spot along a stone wall, where he could find a rock that looked out of place. The money was behind it. Great movie, I thought the warden should have received an academy award. A mean sob.

Back