Drum help ...again

• Thread starter Greenhorn
  • Start date
  • Replies 38
  • Views 5K
Trust me, the tolerances are so close inside that drum that if the bearing was bad the knives would drop and hit the cutter bar or housing. they would not "grow" away from the cutter bar.

Bad bearing in a chuck and duck equals destruction, not much warning at all.

I have touched up the knives with a little kitchen sharpener thingie but never re-sharpened, doubt I have changed the angle enough to effect much.

Manual says to put knives 4 serrations out from drum - which they are - 1/4" would be way less. I was thinking of moving them out even more - thus "pulling" material more aggresively one would think.

The problem seems progressive with no change in knife / anvil position so bearings then me thinks.

I want a morbark so bad though - talking to finance guy tomorrow.

I would get the blades sharpened before you try anything else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
the saga continues..

Brought the knives out one more serration and lowered the anvil / cutter bar. Seemed to do the trick. Nastier chip and sucks stuff though alot faster.

I think the machine is too old to make nice chip and pull all sizes of material. One or the other.

Atleast it will get me by for awhile till I can afford more technology.

And a huge thanks to everyboby I hope I can help you guys out sometime with something!

I've stopped to help people on the freeway.
"Did you check the GAS guage ?" >>> is usually met with disgust, and has happened that a quick glance brought the, "Oh!" response. Just start super-basic & work your way up.
Have you checked the hydraulic fluid levels for the infeed ? A sluggish infeed roller could cause long cuts.
A slow leak in the line (pressurized, so it usually wouldn't go un-noticed, BUT...) or a really low level of hydraulic fluid / & / or a clog in the hydraulic line(s) could cause the infeed roller to slack off.
Just a stab in the dark, but we're dancin' in the dark here anyways, ey ?!? LOL
Good luck. I don't think it warrants buying a new chipper, big guy. Investigate !!!

Sometimes with an older chuck and duck the 'floor' of the infeed is worn into a dish. This makes the material feed funky.

But unless you are getting real stringy chips, just remind yourself that chipping is alot better than cross cutting the stuff down in the back of the truck

Ya know, I just had a thought (yes I have them sometimes). If the knives were sharpened at the wrong angle, that would explain your troubles. If some low rent outfit did the sharpening and their cutter wheel was worn this could happen

Sometimes with an older chuck and duck the 'floor' of the infeed is worn into a dish. This makes the material feed funky.

But unless you are getting real stringy chips, just remind yourself that chipping is alot better than cross cutting the stuff down in the back of the truck

Ya know, I just had a thought (yes I have them sometimes). If the knives were sharpened at the wrong angle, that would explain your troubles. If some low rent outfit did the sharpening and their cutter wheel was worn this could happen

i agree...new set of knives might be worth a try....

Nonsense. If your sharpener guy messed it up THAT bad, he'd be missing 6 digits instead of 3.

knives are still very new - bought from Baileys as well as the cutter bar.

I think the drum itself or infeed part are a little warped/worn and she just aint gonna make pretty chip and eat it all like she once did - even with new teeth.

It does have a nice coat of white paint and tight little straight 6 that gets mobile one and runs great.

Got two live oak removals soon, I will either love the machine again after that job - or be in the financing mood again.

fish went back in the water NoBiv -

There are 3 adjustments, at least on my old chuck and duck. 1 is the knives 2 is the bed knife, and 3 is the bed adjustment, which raises and lowers the bed just ahead of the bed knife. If the bed is 2 high it will not let it feed very well. I agree with Andrew if the bearings were bad it would have destroyed itself by now.

Back