Double wrap climbline or lanyard on spars?

Pretty crazy price. I was thinking along the same lines, some type of connecting bridge, something like that version.

Pretty crazy price. I was thinking along the same lines, some type of connecting bridge, something like that version.
Pretty well all of our hydro/ utility companies are government owned here in Canada, so these safety equipment companies charge what they can. I agree its a crazy price but if you check their website they have been in business since the late 1800s. They make good stuff. www.jelco.ca

Willard.

Do ya'll wear a seatbelt to drive down the road a block? YES!
How about using your turn signals, out in the boondocks? Do you use them? YES!
Do you instinctively say "Yes, ma'am" and "Yes sir?" W/O thinking? YES!
My point is...​

Using your lanyard every time should be an automatic, muscle memory type of thing.

At the very least your lanyard's that one thing every climber wants: a third arm/hand. And at the MOST? It's your frickin lifesaver!

Using your PPE every time should be an automatic, muscle memory type of thing.

Fixed! ;)

Kind of a de-rail here but do you wear cutting pants or chaps Butch? If you feel so strongly about ppe it shouldn't be a pick and choose sort of thing.

I thought we've been through this before, and many a member mentioned three point climbing through say thicker conifers as an example.

Well what exactly are we discussing then? I'mma just saying if I deem it's safe I may go unlanyarded/safetied in spots if it saves time and seems unnescessary. I don't make a habit of it, but I also don't make a habit of having all my rules set in stone. Every job is different.

I understand too that I have no idea of southern heat and humidity but a saw can fork someone up in a heartbeat, no matter how good someone thinks they are.

Wasn't trying to take a cheap shot, but I did sort of feel like someone was yelling at me!

Lol

I'm not ah paranoid. I actually know quite a few climbers who do what I mentioned I do on removals,not one has fallen yet. I only do it where I can get my arms around the trunk,not using my finger tips. I'm not endorsing it or recommending it as I know just a slip can send me to the ground,but without a limb or stub the same can happen with a lanyard.

I beg to differ!

the same can happen with a lanyard.

Not if you're doing it right. On the very rare occasion when I'll kick out, the *grip I have on my lanyard automatically cinches and closes my lanyard tight around the tree, immediately stopping any unwanted descent.

I don't 'slide down the trunk.' The grip I have on my lanyard stops me, stub or no stub. You've gotta operate your lanyard correctly.

*This is something that's practiced, beforehand and part of training. Just take two steps up the spar, kick out, then HOLD YOURSELF SECURE. Rinse and repeat.

Give this stoopid Quicktime video time to load. As you can see, I could easily "get my arms around it" but I save my arm strength and let my lanyard do the work. Plus, guess what? I'm doing it the Safe Way! You're just about guaranteed not to fall employing your lanyard. NOT using your lanyard can easily yield you just the opposite effect = falling

But hey, it hasn't happened yet - right???

:what:

Like that video? Here's just the opposite! :lol:

Anyone that truely thinks they are saving time by not being tied in is silly. Over the course of a day it may save you one or two minutes, is that worth the chance of falling? I am not a safety nazi as most of you know but my guys are never untied in the tree. I have occasionally done it myself and I automatically think, "that was stupid, saved me 4 seconds". I have heard of many people falling from a tree with just a moment being untied. How many times has a branch broke out from under you? Slipped? Would you have been ok were you not tied in?

About 5 yrs ago one of the best tree climbers in Canada had a near fatal accident. While pruning a big elm roaming around limbwalking the end of his climbing line went through his friction hitch, [ he forgot to put a figure 8 on the end of his new climbing line.] He fell 50 ft doing all kinds of injuries, broken back arm leg, collapsed lung, even run his broken Jameson pole through his guts. But he survived and 1 yr later he is back on the job.

I don't care who you are, all I can say is you really have to have your shit together in this business.

Willard.

I was working with a Nepalese Sherpa recently, a job to thin out what they call Himalayan Sugi trees here, coincidentally. He has a mountain guide service in Japan, and a restaurant, and does some tree work on the side. I observed that he did some climbing unattached at the job, but at tea break he had told me that he has summited Everest two times, so I didn't feel it my place to say anything. Still, it bothered me a tad.

Some interesting stories about Everest, being able to see dead people on a regular basis.

People die while trying to summit Everest. The ground is mostly rock and frozen solid, there is no burying them. It is too difficult to drag them down the mountain so they get left behind. They are frozen so they don't decay. Sort of like a human breadcrumb trail to the top. ;)

You'll notice that all the Poopstain kids on this site are like: "Yeah, it's no big deal once in a while." Etc. While all of the old-timers (not you Willie) are like: "Hey jack-asses--use your flipline!"

My own two cents is this: (actually, to avoid a too great hypocrisy, I'll say--in a humiliated way--that I unfortunately still do free-climb here and there now and again.) But here's the thing: a really trustworthy old-timer at our shop has said that you really shouldn't trust Doug Fir limbs. (We're in the East Puget Sound area.) And I'll add to that a very short anecdote. About two months ago, my foreman and I went out to some really nasty office-complex type pruning job, but we had to park the truck under some Dougs. Just then it started to rain, and the TINIEST little breeze came up. POP, SNAP, POP!!! Overhead, three massive Fir limbs came rockin' down with a crash for absolutely no good reason. To say that it scared me makes me look too cool. I asked my foreman about it and he said, "You've never seen that before?!" I've seen that at least a time or two before. After that I vowed not to free-climb up those darned things till you can set a tie-in. Jack-ass that I am: I'm right back at it! Seems to save so much time.

Still, I can't see not using your stupid flip-line when you've got spurs on. How much time can you possibly be saving?

About 5 yrs ago one of the best tree climbers in Canada had a near fatal accident. While pruning a big elm roaming around limbwalking the end of his climbing line went through his friction hitch, [ he forgot to put a figure 8 on the end of his new climbing line.] He fell 50 ft doing all kinds of injuries, broken back arm leg, collapsed lung, even run his broken Jameson pole through his guts. But he survived and 1 yr later he is back on the job.

I don't care who you are, all I can say is you really have to have your shit together in this business.

Willard.

You speak of Mr. Lutes I presume? Wild story for sure!

You speak of Mr. Lutes I presume? Wild story for sure!
Yep Dave Lutes. CBC had a news video on Dave after his accident and I can no longer find it anywhere. I've known Dave since the ArborMaster Canada Training days, I was always impressed with the guy how he motivated people. Toughest arborist I ever met.

Willard

Back