Don't forget your chaps!!

Gary, Now I get it, good stuff. I had an interesting rig with a pine sorta like that once, tied the top, sliced the bottom and pulled the butt out as the whole tree was lowered to get it out from behind some unused verizon lines.

Fiona, you've got us all beat with that one!

Not only the truck. We had two guys hit their chaps today on the exact same day

love
nick

No offense intended here, Nick...this whole time I've had in the back of my head, one pair... A frig-up, it happens. Two incidences on different days, long apart, wow! Two incidences in the same day...YIKES!!! Maybe more training is needed. Twice, your crew members' LAST line of defense against serious injury was put into play.

I know that I usually have to beat dangerous chainsaw handling habits out of my employees. In some ways, I'd rather have a green person, than someone with a little, bad experience. Gary, who started cutting 30+ years ago, need to get his thumb wrapped everytime, and is working on it. People so often hold the bar in the wrong spots for cutting, like the top, left corner of the wrap handle when not making a diagonal cut, like a conventional face cut. The other day, Gary was trying to use the 1/2 wrap like a 3/4 wrap handle. Terrible work positioning/ saw handling. I stopped him, and showed him how to hold it properly for the cut, on the starter side of the wrap handle, and backchain instead of cutting with the gut/ bottom of the bar. Alternately, walk around the tree.

I used to train the Conservation Corps members. I had a 5'0"-5'2" woman, former gymnast, running a 440 with a 28" bar, well for her second day, on her second day in the field, after classroom training. Transferring the idea of a need for exacting technique in gymnastics, I trained her to use the saw properly. She worked like a champ on a basic thinning project (falling, bucking, piling short mountain mahogeny on a steep, loose, rocky hillside. Hit the ground there, and you were in for a lot of hand filing.

No offense intended here, Nick...this whole time I've had in the back of my head, one pair... A frig-up, it happens. Two incidences on different days, long apart, wow! Two incidences in the same day...YIKES!!! Maybe more training is needed. Twice, your crew members' LAST line of defense against serious injury was put into play.

Just to play devil's advocate here :)...I had a day, one of those day's from hell really, wherein I managed to nick bad enough to retire a much loved lanyard, AND to kiss just enough to make me crazy, but not enough to retire, a nearly new climb line.

Y'all know me...this wasn't lack of training or awareness of the situation...both were off the wall odd occurrences where I mentally planned and physically positioned all the locations of ropes and saw and cut angle and depth to make sure of proper clearances. And the worst STILL happened! Tied in twice is good, friends :).

But my point is, Sean...sometimes the stars are aligned against a climber, a sawyer, or a crew...and that might just be what happened to Nick and his boys that day...not necessarily, but it could be so because it sometimes is so.

I got a pair of Francitals from Treestuff, great saw pants IMO. Front protection,fitted,stretchy wicking material. Black, but I wear them in both the cool and hot climates no problem. They don''t soak up and hold gallons of sweat like others (which makes them saggy-baggy,not a good look and uncomfortable to boot) They have a cargo pocket and slash pockets with lime green trim, quite stylish if I do say so. Nice price too if you want something mid range.

Wouldn't recommend them for a newb, but I like Labonville's insert pads.

Can climb around on equipment and logs without the lower leg strap limiting your range of motion.
As long as you don't mind putting snaps in pants. You can mount them in any of your favorite work pants, be it summer or winter variety.

Back