Don't forget your chaps!!

True enough, Justin.

Seems like saw pants are more the direction I'm going. Just haven't gotten into the groove. Listening for recommendations. Storm checks should be arriving.

I wear saw pants every job now, just so easy to do. They help cut down on the bumps and bruises up in the tree too.
I find chaps, despite their ease of on and off, to be way more cumbersome in the long run. The modern flexible saw pants are just so comfortable now. I only ever wore chaps climbing once, and I would NEVER do it again! Buckles, straps, the sides getting branches under them...

And yes, I have worn saw pants in stinkin' hot conditions, 86-90* with 95% humidity, camelback helps. I find that climbing in saw pants in the heat is not as bad as working on the ground in them though.

Listen to the Burnham...wear your saw protection and don't walk around with your spikes on ;)

I cut naked. Well, I wear boots and glasses. Being afraid of trimming my junk makes VERY careful, know what I mean?

Is this light enough? It was bad hot this day....but I DID wear my chaps.:D

Attachments

• hanging tree (2).JPG
    hanging tree (2).JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 44
I'll toss out this little tip in regards to wearing either chaps or saw pants in warm weather. Suspenders allow you to wear the waist strap loose, or do without a belt with the cutproofs. This allows much better air movement up and out, venting some of the heat your body produces and otherwise is mostly captured under your garments. I buy my saw pants a bit too large in the waist for this reason. I have clip-ons for the chaps and button mounts for pants.

Gary, what was that project? It looks like a mini battering ram. Not sure what that tree did to deserve that. . .

My first thought on the loose waist was all the woodchips going inside, but then I thought of that vs the heat, nevermind. I just dont like the idea of pants that ALWAYS need suspenders or they will fall off. I've spent most of my life trying to find pants that will stay on my non-existent ass.

If you have a noassatal, suspenders are THE answer, not some never-to-be-realized search for anti-gravity pants :D.

Besides that, pro sawyers wearing suspenders is almost as de rigeuer as using a 5 pound head single bit straight handled axe to drive wedges. You DO want to look like you know what you're about, don't you?? ;)

Re the chips...yeah, but a few jiggles and shakes sheds most of them down the inside and out the cuffs. With a belt, you have to take 'em down and do the same dance, so no diff in my mind.

My saw pants actually fit well enough that I don't need a belt, and my biggest chip issue is when I forget to close the zippers on the front pockets.
I'm sure the chips inside are nothing compared to the difference in heat provided by the loose ventilation.
I'm thinking pfanner vents with suspenders might be my next pair, maybe in spring.

Bah all you blokes have to worry about is a few chips down yer pants, add the upper female suspensory garment full of chips scratching yer you know whotsits and then you can moan...

Gary, what was that project? It looks like a mini battering ram. Not sure what that tree did to deserve that. .

Nothing much really...the tree was too large to just fell in that space...and too small to climb. I belayed it whole and was dicing it into pieces.

Back