Do You Watch TV?

I watch a little tv when I want to zone out and not think about anything. Some zones are better than others. Ten minutes later if you asked me what i watched, I might not remember.

I don't care for broadcast tv, even with a DVR. I use Netflix, Vudu, Hulu Plus, and 2-300gb a month of bandwidth. I'm often on my laptop while watching as well. I did but an antenna so Heather can watch sports on the odd occasion.

Point of clarity, to me I consider "watching TV" to be watching movies/shows on a tv, phone, iPad, laptop, etc. YouTube is a grey area. Broadcast TV would be antenna, satellite, or cable.

I don't watch the news, nor read the paper, nor take my news on the interwebs. My head isn't in the sand, I simply don't care.

I guess you didn't hear about that cool comet? It kinda had me concerned...

Watching the news right now. A police helo crashed into a pub in Scotland, killing a lotta people.

The near miss? Yeah I heard about it quite some time ago, but my knowledge of that changes nothing, and thus doesn't matter.

~150-155k people die every day on average. In context, that's 10 acres stacked 11' deep in caskets, per day! In a year, that's 5.7 square miles of caskets, 11' deep!

No, it happened just the other day - not a near miss but a slingshot past the sun, then back towards us. We were supposed to see it for weeks with our bare eyes. Instead, the sun frigged it up.

Ah, I remember seeing a comet on a screen showing the news at some restaurant in the past week or two... can't place which restaurant at the moment, but I bet that was it!

Yep, the folks kept the kids last night and tonight, and he enjoys that (8 and 11). He's current projects with them are helping Leah (8) with multiplication and he and Levi work together around the property.

There's probably a lot of people not watching tv around here at the moment, they just turned off our analogue service yesterday after 57 years. Can't believe I've been watching it that long but I did miss quite a few of those years working in the bush.

It's a bit quiet in the kitchen tonight, I usually have it on while I'm getting dinner but looks like that's not going on till I buy a new set. I tried a set top box I had but it doesn't seem to work without a whistling noise.:(

Same thing happened here, they made analog obsolete beyond a certain date. Digital has a lot going for it though, generally a better picture and sound, no degradation of the signal after being sent. I bought a Sharp brand when I had to go digital, liked the picture best. A japanese company, but probably made in either China, Thailand, or Vietnam. Ours is like 24", not into big screen, and no room for one.

My monitor is 24", I remember when that size tv was huge.

I also remember standing in front of a shop watching a test pattern with a crowd of people waiting for it to start. I was staying with my aunt in the city for a couple of weeks, no shops where we lived.

When I was a kid, maybe about the third grade, there was a thing where you could become a member of a cartoon tv show club, and they would send you a thick piece of vinyl that you would stick to the tv screen when the show came on. I don't think they had clear vinyl in those days, it was kind of green, or maybe the green blocked dangerous rays, being right in front of the set. The main character was always getting into fixes of one sort or another, and you had to help him get out of trouble by drawing stuff on the vinyl. He'd be getting chased and come to a cliff, so he needed you to draw him a bridge or something. He'd tell you what he needed. Somehow they came up with original stories every week. It was pretty hurried up intense action, had to be quick with the crayon or whatever it was they sent to draw with. I don't think I ever tried to find out what would happen if you didn't come to the character's aid. I loved that show, and all the kids in the neighborhood were into it. It might have been the first interactive media development. At the end of the show he would always thank everybody for helping him, and he'd see us all again next week. It made you feel good. Wish I could remember the name of that show.

Here's an example of a good commercial.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jGFWEoCGhi8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here's an example of a cool commercial!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MHrS_BonASA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here's an odd one!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BE7UclUnITw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice approach. As a famous Chinese philosopher once said, "Don't be saddened by the transformation". Probably in one of those towns where the drug wars are rampant and like ten people get shot each day..

Back