Dinged up block

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
I have always stored my blocks and other rigging gear in soft sided tool bags. Husky bags from Home Depot are actually very nice and we'll built.

Recently I have been getting more and more dings and burs on the side plates of my steel CMI block. The last batch was pretty bad. The problem is easily fixed by filing them down but I can't figure out why this is happening so much now.

I am rethinking how I store my rigging. How is everyone storing their rigging gear and do you ever get sharp edges on your gear while in storage?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I usually file the blocks and pullies down once a year, but this is the 3rd time this season. And I don't think we are rough on our gear.

Is there any possible way to get burrs or sharp dings while using it to rig down trees? I can't see how.......

I have never seen dings and burs for rigging down trees just from banging into one another or the ground. Could they be banging around in the box while in transit?

That's what I figured happened. Must be a coincidence that it's happening more now. We have one rigging bag that has our normal gear in it and that rides in our man cab, just like all of our other gear.

There is only one solution eric...

You need to buy this:

IMB-L.jpg

I bet I could ding those up too.

And I wear my holy socks..... remember, I'm poor.

I accidentally put the outrigger down to far today on the bucket. It got locked up against the curb... Big problem. We hung the big DMM block up in the tree, installed a heel block at the flare. Ran a bull rope to the outrigger sleeve, up to the tree, down to the flare and out to the f750 2 ton... Flipped the boom over the drivers side pulled like hell with the truck and lifted the passenger side of the bucket up off the ground high enough ot get the outrigger up!

Edit, I am sure it would have worked with any arb block but the DMMS are so shiny... We used an amsteel whoopie at the flare and it was tighter than any rope I ever saw. I smacked with a pole pruner and it made a crack sound... ZERO flex, no rattle shake, nothing. It was literally like a piece of steel

I had a seamstress I know make bags for my DMM blocks, they don't get dinged in the bag!

Better yet.. if you wear through a pair of Levis... Take the legs you cut off when you make the cut off shorts. Sew one side of them shut. You can sew the other side with a cord to cinch if you want or just tie it up with a cord or something. I have one of these my mom made from some Levis my dad retired from back in the 70s still holding some steel tent stakes. Sooooooo

Mine just hang on hooks in the gear boxes on my forestry unit. No issues.

Nick and MB I've never done I believe what you two ate talking about but I've had outriggers all the way out more than once.

Back