DED in southern Oregon

We are about at the 47th parallel. And we have seen them several times throughout the years. We have a big window door on the northside of our bedroom and the northern lights will bring you right out of bed when at their best...usually at some godawful time of night.

One of the most amazing natural wonders to behold.

Dave

They come in a lot of different forms. I saw them once when they flashed from the North and went across heading South. The didn't reach the Southern horizon, but way past straight overhead. The speed was incredible too.

Usually they radiate straight up from the North horizon. The variety of color is big too.

I had a buddy I grew up with tell me he had never seen them. I thought he was kidding. He moved down to Florida in his 20's and stayed there untill 10 years ago. He told me to call him if I ever saw them out. I explained it is usually well after midnight and he said I don't care. Call me! I did several times.

I've seen them several times when I worked above the arctic circle in Norway and also in Alaska, but the most amazing time was 4 years ago in the winter. I went out to drain the dogs before going to sleep and there it was! In the next field, a nice Theater curtain Shimmering above the bare frosen ground alternating between red and green. Scared the shit out of the dogs, too.
I went in and called all my friends and told them to go outside. It was all over the island, and that was the first time in over 50 years, it had visited Denmark. Unusually high sunspot activity caused it.
It hasn't been back since, but I'm still hoping.

I've seen them quite a few times and I'm not much further north than you Paul. Right in my own yard a few times.

They have been quiet the last 3-4 years. The last time I remember seeing them I was floating in a boat out on Lake Ontario. Drinking some beer, shooting the breeze, and watching the stars. They were excellent. Come on sunspots and solar flares!

Have you watched the space station go across? Do a search on ss and go to the NASA site. It will give the time and area of the sky to watch. It varies from 1 to 6 minutes to cross. It is worth looking for a couple times.

Back