Damnit!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wouldn't have pizzed me off so much if there was ANY sign of a fence. Tree wasn't that big, 15" dbh.....wire was only in 1 1/2" under the bark running vertically.

Ed

It never ends the frustration of tearing up a beautifully cutting chain on hidden hardware. That was one of my best customer jokes when the odd one would warn you that years back there was a hammock or whatever. I'd let them know not to worry because I had the sharpest metal detectors in town.

I was checking one of the brush trucks at the fire house the other day and got the saw out to run it some.

I was checking to see if the bar was oiling, I held it close to the concrete floor and made some sparks. DUMB! No one saw it at least!

I just left a 3' high pine stump today that had a metal water hose reel growing out of it. Told the customer I could try and cut it low but if I hit metal I was adding in the price of a new chain for the 395. He said leave it.

If they insist that they want the part with the metal removed, tell them you'll be having to board up their windows to blast it.

It never ends the frustration of tearing up a beautifully cutting chain on hidden hardware. That was one of my best customer jokes when the odd one would warn you that years back there was a hammock or whatever. I'd let them know not to worry because I had the sharpest metal detectors in town.

lol

I found some sort of metal spike or big ass nail or something in the base of an oak trunk the other day, tell tale sparks = :(

During a sycamore removal we found 15' of rebar and concrete 60' foot up. Hard to believe someone would go to that much trouble to do something so pointless. Guess that was the thing to do back then. I forget how many chains we went through. Each time thinking," surely that was the last of it!"

Had the concrete thing in a huge dead oak before. Tree was to unstable to work. We set lines with the big shot and pulled all the limbs off. Dropped the spar and proceeded to cut to six foot pieces. No good. Had an excavator beat it up and it was forty feet of concrete. My hats off to climbers back in the day. That would've sucked to haul up all that mud and fill that cavity.

"Sharpest metal detector in town". I like that

I don't think I ever escaped a multiple hazard tree removal in a campground without finding at least some metal. It just got to be part of the expectation you took into the job...along with a batch of extra chains :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've dealt with the concrete thing before, at least we knew it was there.

It was a hard maple next door to me, a good friends mothers home, his dad poured the concrete. Took the most worn out 36" chain I had, IIRC, my buddy made 3 trips home to grind it before we were done. The chain ended up in the scrap bucket at the end of the day.

The hammer drill, an old beat up axe and splitting wedges were pretty handy also.

Just dug up the pics, forgotten how big the damn thing was. Storm damage broke the one limb and almost split it in half, insurance paid to take it down, we cleaned up the mess.

Ed

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 76
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 76
Most of my Stihl branded chains are salvaged from Toms trucks from being screwed up by metal ,concrete .Couple years ago one winter I repaired 20 or so .I still have maybe a dozen hanging on a nail I hadn't gotten to .

Back