Damnit!!!!

Groundman (high school co-op student) bucking large maple into firewood yesterday using a 441 with fairly new chain.
Hit lag bolt or something else fairly big that was buried well inside.
He must have either been oblivious, or tried really hard to muscle through it. (looks like he got about 1/3 - 1/2 way through)
Teeth were a mess. Filed them, but they got hardened a bit trying to saw through steel. Even the rakers got surface hardened.
Wish I just taken the chain to the grinder. Hate wrecking files as they skate off something harder than them.

I pulled nearly 20 steel rods/pegs out of a garden bed stumping yesterday, would have struck all but 2 of em. End result being 5 broken teeth which is bearable but less so all the wasted time culminating in a second visit to complete the job.

Here is photo of a 16 penny nail about a foot in in a 100 year old elm in a park in Bottineau, ND about 15 years ago. About 4 ft off ground. My initial cut from the top of photo got the entire length of the nail.

16p nail in elm.jpg

Could've been worse Bob. Wish I had a pic of the lag bolt my groundie ripped in half while I was out back trimming. The way the saw was idling down so often I thought he was firewooding the whole log, not just the second piece

Back