Daily Stretching & Exercising

ClimbMIT

TreeHouser
Ok I was just reading the" optimal climbing weight thread" and didn't want to derail. So I thought I would start this thread even though their are similar threads going. Looking for videos, pics, tips on stretching before your climb. Also any daily excercise you may do that has helped you guys and girls stay fit? Thanks in advance!
Mark

Gary (Pantherabra) is in his early sixties and looks and moves like in his early 30s

Big green determined that back injury was the leading cause of WC claims and lost time incidents. All field employees are required to participate in a morning stretching routine. Posters, pamphlets, videos, stickers, cards, the whole deal.

The one thing they will spend any amount of money on? Not spending more money. Stretching works, no more proof necessary, they did the research and the numbers say stretching reduces injury claims in tree workers.

I try to stretch whenever I do anything, but I don't enjoy it and I am not very flexible so it is a half effort at best.

I defer to Gary. :lol:

hahaha...I have been deferring to everybody else. Curious to see what others do.

I definitely have "stuff" I do daily and also before each job...all from a Burmese yoga system that I have studied for some time now...called Bando Yoga.

I do stretches daily with a rope...called longyi yoga (say "lon-ji"). Hot bath in the AM, some yoga bandhas (breathing/muscle locks, likely similar to Leon's qi gong) and then longyi...maybe 6-9 minutes of rope yoga each morning. This rope yoga system is "peasant/slave yoga" used by workers, warriors and monks in ancient times and brought forward to modern times. It was used to help someone stay productive, for maintenance of health primarily, some for restoration, rehabilitation and prevention of injury. Some yoga systems are for enlightenment...bando yoga is for helping keep one fit. Injured workers, warriors and monks could not perform their tasks...injured slaves were often just dispatched. I do some longyi everyday.

There is another aspect to the yoga system that uses a staff/stick to stretch...it is called dhanda yoga. I always either do dhanda or longyi before anything strenuous...treework, warehouse work, swimming, etc. It serves to keep me flexible and I am sure it helps prevent injury.

Lately I have seen studies that question the value of stretching before sports or strenuous activity...I don't put much credence in those studies.

I go to the gym about 2x per week...do about 10 min. on stationary bike, 20 min. of longyi, 5 min. of dhanda, 30-45 min. of martial arts practice, 15 min. of dumbell/body weight exercises, maybe 20-30 min. more of a different longyi exercises...a gym workout takes 1-2 hours, occasionally 3 hrs. if not rushed by life's demands.

You can read more about bando yoga, if interested, at http://www.americanbandoassociation.com/about-bando-yoga

As a treeworker/climber/cutter the idea of using a stick and rope to stay in shape and work capable is appealing. The stick and rope were the tools of the ancient workers...tree cutters, masons, riggers, sailors, etc. They were the walking staff and sash of the monk...and still are today.

Here is a bit of longyi (that is my homegrown Moso bamboo...guess these picts could go in the bamboo thread, too):

Attachments

• photo_1 (1).jpg
    photo_1 (1).jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 73
  • photo_2 (1).jpg
    photo_2 (1).jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 71
  • photo_1.jpg
    photo_1.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 70
  • photo_3.jpg
    photo_3.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 73
  • photo_2.jpg
    photo_2.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 71
  • photo_3 (1).jpg
    photo_3 (1).jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 72
  • photo_4.jpg
    photo_4.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 70
  • photo_5.jpg
    photo_5.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 71
And here is one dhanda pose...me on the left, my two young'uns with me...probably 11 years ago.

Attachments

• dhanda Laytons.jpg
    dhanda Laytons.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 68
Excellent stuff Gary. Do you do any meditation in conjunction with that physical practice?

Probably not in the sense some folks think of meditation...no chants or singular focus on a certain sound, thought, etc.

But I try to do the exercises with intent, with a focus on "inner sight" that monitors how the involved parts of the body are interacting (or not acting)...e.g., in the first picture, the "V" pose, I'll concentrate on:

sensation in the feet...where are the balance/pressure points,stretch of the hamstrings, large back muscles, elongation of the spine, relaxation of the shoulders, arms, stretch on the wrists by the rope, keeping the head "below the water" of the arms, breathing properly to enhance the stretch. There is always some "tweaking" going on. The pose will look static but our bando yoga is dynamic..there will be slight rotations around joints, subtle movements here and there in response to what the inner sight says you need to do.

It is very much a process of discovery about what one thinks they are doing, what they are really doing and what they need to be doing. I try not to do the exercises mindlessly although they become habit enough that sometimes I am part way through the routine and have to make myself think...did I leave something out or am I really this far along? For time to pass like that and still have been productive with the exercises there is a type of meditation that occurs.

That's all fine, Gary, but how do you keep a full head of non graying hair, that's what we really want to know!:lol:

Ha, I posted that before seeing all those excellent pics. Very cool and thanks for posting.

Ha...there is a bit of gray. I am sure it will keep increasing. Glad to share picts and info. Now...I am probably the freak in the house.

Just because I got verbose and passionate about what I do I still want to know what other folks do...anything regularly? Something that works particularly well for someone?

Don't be shy, boys...and girls.

I just do karate, but then you already knew that. Lots of stretching for warmup and after practice, too.
Keeping limber is important to be able to do our kind of work IMO.
At 56 I can still do a roundhouse kick to the head of another 6 foot person without warming up/stretching before.

The after practice stretching is what lots of folks never do. 10-4 on "Keeping limber is important to be able to do our kind of work IMO."

Maintaining flexibility is one of the keys to being productive as we age. The attributes of youth can serve for awhile but unless someone develops a method of keeping fit and flexible they will usually end up hobbled, injured and restricted in what they can do.

I don't do anything particular, but I guess from years of being a field hockey goalie I was pretty flexible anyway lots of stretching before practice and games, starting to lose it now though, I retired from active sport a couple years ago...about twice a month I get a massage, and I try to ride my bike to keep up cardio, can't run too far because my knees are not particularly good.

Just because I got verbose and passionate about what I do I still want to know what other folks do...anything regularly? Something that works particularly well for someone?

Don't be shy, boys...and girls.
Well...it's more like regularly nothing.
I know I'm wrong, but in my mlnd, other people would see me as a fool doing these exercises. Stupid me...

Marc-Antoine....hahaha...you know what Forest Gump said...Stupid is as stupid does.

and as Mr. T said: Don't be stupid, fool!!

Chance is those others are not really paying that much attention to you anyway. I realized at some point that other folks don't pay near as much attention to me as I thought they did...they were usually more interested in themselves.

Focus on YOU. You are the person that cares most about your own health.

Fi...I am envious of your massages...totally one of the best things you can do. It's been too long since I had one but they are healing and restorative. Good input.

Back