Cutting bushel is hard!

I'm certainly not a feller and never saw a redwood nor a Douglas fir .However I never could hit a wedge with the butt end of an axe .All I did was destroy the wedge and thus a 4 pound dead blow is my weapon of choice .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn’t realize how hard and stupid this clumps actually are. I keep thinking about packing my jacks down but my hike is an hour long and about a mile of steep broken brushy ground. Dropping down into it would be the worst. We are using ropes to help get in there. As Sureshot Turcott says” welcome to helicopter cuttin”

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We actually bought your redwood book at a shop in the avenue of the giants. We brought it with and are actually going to ride bikes around then today. The map is handy and we will be sure to explore some more. I know I said I’d call here in a few days and I will. Finally getting settled and making a buck. I’m understand the clumps and what to do with trading or just not cutting it. I won’t let pride get in the way of making money 😂. I’ve been watching the working climber videos again every night as I pass out. So much knowledge and love watching all the fellas work. I really got some questions about the ciro brothers and Mike Davis. That Mike fella looked like a rare specimen of genetics.

Wow, that map really shows how unique the Rockefeller forest is!
The density of it.

:popcorn::popcorn:

More Mike Davis and John Ciro stories!!;)

Those west coast giants I'll be first to admit are way above my skill level . A 3 foot oak and a 12 foot redwood don't even belong on the same page .

I can chime in on that.

All depending the company / forester, in select-cuts, a timber faller may be granted permission to cut other trees in lieu of the ones marked for harvest.

For many practical reasons you can't always fall the trees that are marked for harvest. So you trade for another tree in the vicinity. One that you can get.

Some outfits do not allow the faller to trade trees. No matter what. It's a firing offense.

You got to be careful with some fallers cutting bushel, because they'll cut every big tree around a small one that is marked harvest. And they'll say, "I traded it." In that case your select-cut harvest plan can end up looking like a clear-cut. Really piss off a forester.

My friend John Ciro was notorious for doing that. Laughing all the way to the bank. His pay checks were always bigger.

You got to be careful with some fallers cutting bushel, because they'll cut every big tree around a small one that is marked harvest. And they'll say, "I traded it." In that case your select-cut harvest plan can end up looking like a clear-cut. Really piss off a forester. My friend John Ciro was notorious for doing that.
I first saw that logging in Maine in 1977. I never heard the term 'trade tree' but yeah makes sense. I don't know if trading was an agreed-upon thing, and I think I witnessed alot more of the John Ciro approach than judicious trading, lol.

Back