Crash Pad

No_Bivy

Treehouser
OK,...I know this thread screams foam at the start but I'll stick my neck out anyway. Usually when we need to soften the blow of a big trunk, we create a crib with smaller wqod. This works great on lawns and such, but is no good on a hard surface where the cribbing might damage the surface..ie paved drives. I purchased some track mat for a low impact job and decided to experiment a bit. I got some motorcycle tires and placed them under the mats. I used these because they are lighter and easier to handle. Bombs away! Worked like a charm. Mats are pricey though, but so far I have used them in lots of places. Unlike Alturna mats, they have molded in handles so they are easy to carry. The lighter color doesn't get as hot in the summer either. ................OK you can make fun of me know.

the traditional method
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tycD8yyXx0A&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tycD8yyXx0A&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

dare I say foam?:lol: I prefer crash pad...much more versitle the old bedding!!!
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1ZX3Z9Md3iU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1ZX3Z9Md3iU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Neighbors did come out thinking we dropped something on the house...it is a bit loud:lol: :/: :lol:

yeah.....maybe not, but re-paving would be expensive so I wasn't gonna take a chance. Besides I'm working my way up dropping bigger chunks on it....R&D ya know

Looks like it works pretty good John, sure does make a racket.
:thumbup:
See Ya
Mike

Those are neat, I have seen them and thought of investing. Did you get them locally or have them shipped?

I drove to Charlotte. Thats where the company is. The have several versions and colors. 200 per sheet:\: I know it's a lot but so far I have been beating these things into sumbission. They also help cover obstacles like stairs for the mini. They do have holes where you can hook they together or stake em' down. Shipping would be pricey, the weigh 78lbs each.

i paid 170 a sheet for my 3' alturnas. id save some room in the truck by dumping chips rather than packing tires around. specially since you have a mini to load with!

I'd keep on with the R&D...good practice shot. It kinda sucks when you try the big stuff first time and it donna work.

Err on the side of caution.

A six pack of moto tires is really easy to move around. Got two trucks in action so no biggie. It was a very dead pine, didn't want to rope it out. It was purely R & D cause I could. One of these days I will go BIG. The mats are 4x8, still a little cheaper then alturna. A bit easier to manuver as well.

IT WAS DRAMATIC THOUGH!!!:lol:

I think it is cool that you are always trying different stuff out John, even more so that you share it with us. I have thought about buying tires and some plywood but the situation doesn't come up much for me.

My next Xperiment is a "tire log" super Zorber...........

we fell this down the hill and across the paved drive way that the chippers on. a few logs on the down hill side and a half load of chips on the asphalt with plywood on top. no damage and 3 guys shoveled it all back in the truck. ive used tires with good effect but on big wood ill use the chips

Chips make sense. Got any pics of the nugget across the drive?

no pads? no problem! :D
aw-crap-tree-truck.jpg

That cushion worked great...and then you can sell it for scrap. Good idea Paul:lol:

nope, it slid down off the drive way and rolled. you can see the bark in the grass where it landed

HA! Narcoleptic James style! Vehicles as crash pads work pretty well, but they're sorta expensive.

I've used alternating layers of tires and alturna-mats before (2 of each) for really big trees. The mats were worthless afterward though. Most of the time I just use piles of brush for small to average size trunks.

After seeing that thing laying in the yard (5' DBH?:\: ) I can see why you didn't just lower the pieces. There's no way you could have lowered a 16' log without bringing in a crane, and redwoods are way too valuable to cut into firewood.

Back