Crash Pad

John, how are these mats holding up? I'm finally beginning to tire of buying plywood all the time, and in our wet season (all summer long) the plywood can turn to mush in short order. On the other hand, Alturna Mats are $200 each :O and I'm not quite ready to shell out that much for pads only warranted for 6 years.

They also have outrigger pads for only $176 each. :O

Yeah, but I'd need at least 8 pads to have enough to pull the truck up on a yard. You wanna loan me a couple Grand?

If it was me, I would buy a couple at a time, until I had ten. And again, I would buy those before I'd but a GRCS.

Their 'deal' was the published price plus shipping and tax, it came out to just over $200 per sheet total for the 3'x8'. :( I guess I'll go to HD and buy some more plywood. Rainy season is about over so the plywood I buy now should last through Spring.

Surely you buy more than $1600 in plywood over 6 year minimum life of Alturna's?

That'd only be $266 a year. I've spent that much this year and last, but both were for 20+ sheets for making a road/work area in a friggin swamp.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have 10 sheet.se of TracMat....works awesome. Getting ready to buy ten more that have one smooth side to protect asphalt from marks...230 4x8

We cut the plywood in half, 2' x 8'. We used plywood all the time, and they saw 2-3 years of abuse before being replaced. And a piece of 2x12 lumber for outrigger pad.

Yeah, I went and bought a few more sheets of plywood. Mine doesn't last as long since it is stored on the back of the truck and gets rained on, and we have rain almost every day in the summer. It falls apart quick when it's been wet for a week then you drive a truck on it.

On the other hand, I don't have $1600 for 8 pieces of mat right now. I can buy a helluva lot of plywood for $1600. I just spent $120 for 4 sheets and ripped them in half, giving me 8 strips. I can do that 13 times with plywood or once with mats.

I have 10 sheets of 1 1/4" plywood that I bought for a job almost a year a go and I have used them once since.

Have you tried painting the plywood Brian? I would think a coat of Kilz would triple the life of it?

I'm sure they are good, but I've already spent too much money this year and I'm running out of earning time before winter. I forgot that work drops off when the kids go back to school and and the sudden lack of work has caught me by surprise. I need to get back into penny pinching mode till after winter.

I'll address this again in the spring and will probably buy a couple mats at that time.

1 1/4" :O no wonder you never use them. I buy sheets of plywood for $5, from the local used building supply place. I can buy a whole lotta plywood for the price of those mats.

Back