Crane removal virgin

Well, that's hard to say. Even with a wet summer, it does take place. I never noticed it as much in tree work. But with logging, the surface of the logs are getting pinched/gripped a lot by various machines (mechanized faller, skidder, landing loader), and the slip bark season is unmistakable. Then, over the period of a week a little later in the summer, the bark tightens back up. Slip bark season is no joke though. Those tree length logs will take off downhill through the woods like you wouldn't believe when.they have no bark on them and are slimy.

That musta been insane when the log slipped out of its bark by your uncle. That could really mess with one's confidence..

i was pretty furious inside at a crane operator that i thought dropped the pick a good foot or more after immediately after removing a top. Kind of off to the side, but it would have creamed my leg a couple inches more in my direction. Later, I asked the ground guy that was positioning the boom if he saw what happened, He said yes, and when he unhooked the pick, saw the slip. Later during some discussion, I took some heat for not wrapping around a limb, which I certainly took to heart.

Cory it just missed tearing him out of the tree. The log planted itself about 2 feet into the ground, plumb. He was pretty upset about it. To be honest, he seemed totally tongue tied when I spoke to him that night.

Dang. I try to set limb chokers underneath a branch union. A notches on trunk sections, or again, under a nub.

Cranes are cool, have fun! I was shitting my first crane job. I handled it fine as the climber, and the newb groundy did just as well.

I have never had a sling slip yet. Although, a lot of the trees we do aren't as prevalent to bark slipping off as you may have there. We use large clevises on both wire and slings but there is still a gouging effect on the wire opposite of the clevis. Not as prominent if you didn't have one though. It really boils down to the weight, for us anyway. When we get down to the large trunk wood, cable comes out. Also, with slings, you never have to take another wrap like you sometimes do with cable to keep it from sleeping. You may throw in a marl or two too take up slack, but that's about it. Been my experience anyway for what it's worth....

Slip bark season is no joke though. Those tree length logs will take off downhill through the woods like you wouldn't believe when.they have no bark on them and are slimy.

I got a good chuckle out your post with the above quote. Understandably not a humerous matter being down hill from it.

I cant speak for them because they are the only company I use and I get a good deal now and then from them. On average, a 90 ton is about $3200 for a 9 hour, portal to portal. Bob showed up that morning with a 200 ton and charged me the same as a 90 ton. He is so busy and all his 90's are booked.
Jeff

How much to rent that for a day?? Yikes!

Back