Crane job SOP

• Thread starter xtremetrees
  • Start date
  • Replies 2
  • Views 1K
X

xtremetrees

Got a crane job comming up this week hopefully. Was wanting to know a few tips from yall to keep in mind. I'll try and cam the cuts as well as a few clips on the landing zone.
I've thought of reviewing hand signals etc.
I'm sub contracting the climbing and the owner is doing a walk thru with the crane company soon. The owner wanted to know how long it would take me so I suggested I walk thru with the crane man at the same time to estimate.

I have thought of suggesting we rigg the limbs prior to the crane comming, I think this would be a good idea but it is a dead pine. I normally dont like to rigg dead limbs, but its SOP. :what:

I will also try and video the walk thru.
Traditionally I have cut notches on all my picks until I ran into hurrican Ivan in 04 with treeslayer. I didnt cut any notches on two days of crane work and things went exceptionally smooth. I think I may have already abandoned my notches while employing cranes.
I hope the job comes thru.
I have thought of purchasing a split tail just for this job, to tie into the ball with, just quicker I'd never have to untie my blakes if I had a split tail. I also may carry an extra tuflex sling, what do you do?
I know that slow is fast and fast is just stupid but, the bid is determined on my estimate of time. Ill upload a video and see what you guys think, Ill try and do it today. Any pointers appreciated.

Hoist lower lowerboom raiseboom

Attachments

• hoist.gif
    hoist.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 76
  • lower.gif
    lower.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 76
  • lowerboom.gif
    lowerboom.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 76
  • raiseboom.gif
    raiseboom.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Yup, notches are a waste of time in most cases. Rig the limbs so that they are butt heavy, then undercut and stand them upright as you're cutting. The tip of the crane should be lined up with the center of gravity of the limb AFTER it is standing up straight. This will eliminate any swing after it comes loose, then the crane operator can lift it up and away. Stay well within your safe working loads. If you're not sure, ask the operator for advice. But remember, YOU are in charge. Don't let anyone else second guess your instincts. I LOVE crane work, but things can go REALLY bad REALLY fast if you miscalculate or get in a hurry and make stupid mistakes. Make sure you get an operator who has lots of tree work experience. Taking out a tree is a whole different ball game than lifting trusses or setting A/C units. You have to have an operator who knows about trees and the physics involved.

I'll use a notch in 1 or 2 outtta 50 cuts. It's silly how some people think notches are always neded. Most of the time a kerf backcut is all that's needed, and mostly what I do.

I did some massive lifts today! I feel like Ronnie Coleman! :\:

Back