Cornus mas

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
One of my former apprentices parked his Honda VFR under a Cornus mas.
Some fruits fell on his seat and TOTALLY discolored/bleached the leather.

He asked me if I knew what caused that.
Since I don't I'm asking all the guys and gals here, that are not just dumb fallers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any acids or is there something special in Cornus?

Interesting. They used Cornelian Cherry fruits to do color dies. The fruits are edible too. I grow some and always had red stains not bleach stains. Maybe a reaction to the leather.

That's a fascinating question I've no answer for. Best guess is high concentration of acids reacting with leather, though not sure why it would bleach

I remember 15 years ago, give or take, TreeChick or her boss had to buy someone a new cement walkway because it was permanently stained when they removed some kinda tree that had some powerful pigment in the fruit. During the course of removing it, they had stepped on the fruit on the walkway. It wasn’t removable with pressure washer, bleach, or whatever else they tried, maybe a solvent.
I remember thinking it was really ridiculous and I’m pretty sure they were ordered to replace it in small claims court.
Maybe I can find the thread, I think it was much more ridiculous than how I described it. They might have had to replace the entire walkway because replacing the stained sections left the new cement a different color shade than the old stuff.

By the by, anyone know what happened to her?
She sent me a wonderful care package when I was overseas. Nice lady.

Back