Cold weather lube

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
I am having problems with our Vermeer 900 chipper that sits outside. The engine is exposed to the elements and we are having problems with various components on the engine sticking from all the stuff that gets kicked up while driving around town. We have had it in to Vermeer several times because we thought it was a different problem. They would always clean up the engine real well and spray the throttle and choke controls with WD 40 and the problem would go away.... for a short period of time. They tell us to spray the engine parts down with brake cleaner or carb and choke cleaner and then lube with WD40. Ive been doing this but the throttle control still seems to stick. This is also only a problem first thing in the morning. Once we have the chipper running, its fine for the rest of the day. Does anyone have any suggestions on a spray lube that I can use on the engine to help in the winter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We tried covering the engine and that made no difference because the gets all mucked up while driving around.

I've seen PB Blaster before.... Is that a lube, or just a cleaner?

Both, it's a catalyst, it will eat corrosion, then lube like a carb cleaner. Get a can and spray it in a Styrofoam cup, it will eat the cup! It's good stuff!

Ive been using fluid film as a chassis protector during winter for a couple years now. Washes right off in spring.

Possibly try that. I haven't ever noticed it freezing up. It shields out oxygen so it will keep your stuff from rusting and i think they market it as a lube too.

Im also currently testing another product called tc-11. Little less messy than fluid film, same principle but has more penetrating qualities.

That fluid film is good stuff. I use it on a lot of things in the winter and don't need to worry about it again till next winter.

Thanks everyone. I'm definitely going to try fluid film since that seems to be easy to find and it sounds like it works well or how you guys are using it. I'm still open to any other suggestions.

Think you can get it at napa now, Eric. I buy gallons and spray with a certain sprayer. After my test ill stock also aerosols of either. Probably stay ff as i like its a "natural" product.

Might just be the throttle cable has a burr in it or some grit. A new cable could do it

Fluid film is good. It puts the road salt boogey man to sleep

Might just be the throttle cable has a burr in it or some grit. A new cable could do it
It's definitely the good on the engine itself that is causing the problem. It's just a Kohler 40hp and the "levers" that the cables attach to are sticky. If you move the throttle all the way up, the lever will move up. When the throttle is dropped down, the cable goes back but the lever stays up. Or the engine will automatically idle way up to start and won't return to low idle even though the cable is relaxed. Hopefully that makes sense.

what's that about revving up, and not idling down? Are you disengaging the clutch and turning off at high idle?

When we start it up from cold, the engine automatically increases throttle then it's supposed to idle down.... Kind of like cars do. No clutch involved. I'm just talking about cold starting.

Those cable lubers like Husabud posted work pretty good for getting the whole cable oiled.

Much cleaner than submersing the whole cable in a tub of oil and working it back and forth.

In going to start out by trying the Fluid Film since I picked some up today. It better work because it cost me $13 for a spray can!
The employees at the store told me try white lithium grease if this doesn't work.... I think I'll try some of your suggestions first.

For what ever reason, when we cant keep something working we will spray a wet graphite on it, or sometimes a dry graphite.

That stuff Bud has looks promising.

Might be wise to look into the root cause of the throttle malfunction like Willie said. You should not have to constantly lube and wash it to make it work. Unless of course it is a design flaw and that is your only option!

The fluid film should do the trick. If I'm reading it right you're talking about the linkages on the side of the carb. We spray the hell out of them first thing before the snow flies and once again after the final melt and never have a problem

I hope your right. My partner would probably hunt you down to give you a kiss if this works. He gets sooooo freaking mad when the chipper doesn't start right. After all, we got rid of our diesel chipper and bought this one partly because it should start easier in the winter.

We tried it today and it worked perfectly. Now we have to see how long it lasts. When the engine heated up, it turned kind if runny and dripped off. So far it's pretty cool stuff.

Back