Climbing In The Rain?

Like Reg, high winds are more of an issue for me. There are however, trees more appropriate to wet weather - I hate sliding out on skinny, slimy maple branches.
If I did not work in the rain, a huge chunk of the year would be a write off

Same here.
I absolutely HATE logging in rain, but what else can I do.
In about 10 years when I retire, I can sit in my rocking chair by the fireplace and tell tall tales of logging in snow and frost, before global warming put an end to that.
Logging big hardwoods on a nice, dry day with the ground frozen solid.....................Nothing better:)

But it does get you wet and miserable, plus tired from moving around in wet heavy clothes
Pops in high winds are buttock clenching. Pick your battles.

Climbed 3 yrs in Germany. Yes, in the rain. In the cold and rain. Hated every minute, but it makes you a better climber. If you can work fast in those conditions, a sunny day is a breeze regardless of the task.

Now, it is hard t get me to climb in perfect weather. I'm getting lazy and paid too damn much.

If it rains when I'm already up there, then just get it done unless it's tropical downpour in which case you probably get washed out of the tree...
I don't intentionally go to work in the rain.

I have a situation, my foreman is currently training me to become a climber. So he had me side trim a avocado tree and a African tulip away from the power lines. It was a cloudy day, I did the African tulip first and when I started to get up the avocado tree to set my TIP, rain started pouring down. I finished what needed to be done and loaded my gear back into my storage bag. Went home and forgot to take my equipment out to hang dry. It was the following day that I removed my gear out of my bag, still soaked and smells bad!!! It's all brand new and first time being in the rain. I have the new Petzl sequoia harness, 120' of NE Hi Vee 1/2" rope, hitch climber pulley(Rapide), titanium Buckingham Spurs w/Velcro pads, and a homemade lanyard using blue streak. So my question is, after working in the rain(being that your gear is already soaked) do you guys hose them down to rinse out the rain water, then hang dry it?(also occasionally doing it to rinse out our work sweat) or would this also damage my gear and best to just hang dry it in any situation? Will the rain/sweat cause rusting to screws and other metal parts in my gear quicker? And how do you guys care for the HC pulley after having it soaked and bits of debris in it?

I ended up googling "Petzl harness care". Petzl pdf file stated that there harnesses can be machine washed. I followed there directions there. Now it's up and hanging. Thanks for all the advice/info. Appreciate it!!!!

Here in Hawaii, being warm all year around. Hang drying should be fine for me

I ended up googling "Petzl harness care". Petzl pdf file stated that there harnesses can be machine washed. I followed there directions there. Now it's up and hanging. Thanks for all the advice/info. Appreciate it!!!!

First time I've heard of anybody doing that.

What does the washing machine look like afterwards?

I have always hung wet gear up in the shop and have a fan blowing on it. I have washed many a rope but never my saddle tho it might be a good idea.

Back