Climbing in Florida

Hell,wish I would have known that yesterday, I was just down the road from Skwerl in oviedo land.

Do they have these little buggers in FLA since there will be diving going on. I assume sandy places will also be involved.
Nasty little critters.

Another burrower is the chigoe flea, also known as the jigger flea. The chigoe lives in sandy soil in tropical climates. The female chigoe burrows into the skin of her host and lays her eggs there. The word "chigger" is probably a corruption of "chigoe" or "jigger," although the pests are not related.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chigoe_flea

I've been climbing trees in Florida for 28 years, never saw a chigger. ~just sayin

My bud had a place close to where it sounds like you will be. Taylor county. Eridu / Shady Grove. His wife still owns the 30 acres. I was down there a couple times. Live Oaks are amazing. We went out in the swamps to retrieve Cypress, some of which I was told have been lying there since being cut in the Civil War. Some get a fungus or rot that makes patterns in the wood they call Pecky Cypress. More value than sound wood. We were going in the swamp on a rubber track Bombardier, something like a small snow groomer. Swamp country was kinda cool but seemed pretty low wage area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My bud had a place close to where it sounds like you will be. Taylor county. Eridu / Shady Grove. His wife still owns the 30 acres. I was down there a couple times. Live Oaks are amazing. We went out in the swamps to retrieve Cypress, some of which I was told have been lying there since being cut in the Civil War. Some get a fungus or rot that makes patterns in the wood they call Pecky Cypress. More value than sound wood. We were going in the swamp on a rubber track Bombardier, something like a small snow groomer. Swamp country was kinda cool but seemed pretty low wage area.

Yeah, pay will be less than "poverty level for sure and there doesn't seem to be much of a job market, but I will be in the middle of cave country which is what is important to me right now. Being happy and poor is better than having money and hating life...

man you must love caves. not a bad area; worked there last year. i get chiggers in live oaks etc covered with moss if i am underdressed. different bodies react to them in different ways--some sensitive. I use tea tree oil to get rid of them.

first tree job down there should be to tell live and laurel oaks apart; not easy for a MN guy but good to know.

man you must love caves. not a bad area; worked there last year. i get chiggers in live oaks etc covered with moss if i am underdressed. different bodies react to them in different ways--some sensitive. I use tea tree oil to get rid of them.

first tree job down there should be to tell live and laurel oaks apart; not easy for a MN guy but good to know.

Its not too hard, after the slightest wind,most laurel oaks break apart. How are you doing Guy?

Back