Choppers GRCS Mod

I think Frans has some pics of it.

nope. Or if I do, I don't know where the pix are.

My point about Chopper's 'pig tail' was that-

as the rope comes off the drum, it is critical to have it held in one particular place. For example, on the GRCS, the rope is captivated at say, 2:00 o'clock. If you hold the rope at 3:00 o'clock, you lose just a bit of wrap on the drum. That could cause you to lose the load. Chopper's device allows the rope to move all the way around the 'clock'. Yes, that may not happen, but when doing 'rapid slack' operations, the rope dances around. Greg's device prevents the movement of the rope. Chopper' device does not.

On the other end of the GRCS, using a block to guide the load line INTO the device is critical as well. Any sharp angle puts excessive force on the device. Either yanking it off plumb, or bending the fairleads.

As for beefing up parts of the GRCS, the fact remains that used correctly the device works, and works very well.

Lots of folks will tell you something has to be modified. It is human nature. Just look at the aftermarket business in the automotive industry. Bigger shocks, multiple spark discharge, turbos, lift kits, lowering kits, synthetic oils, etc etc etc.

But the fact remains that AS DESIGNED cars do what they are designed to do, and the GRCS out of the box works very well.

Interesting idea with Chopper's 'pig tail' but to me, just interesting. Nice to see folks thinking outside the box.
But he, IMO, has not made a better mousetrap (this time).

im sure id like my grcs better than that but i do think choppers would be fine to

Back