ChipSafe

If everyone just ran smaller chippers it wouldn't be an issue. I know most people like bigger chippers for better production but small chippers are cheaper to buy, maintain, operate, and I would love to see someone go through my 9 inch chipper.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

It could still have your arm, happened to a guy over here last year.

Exactly. People give a lost more respect to big chippers. Small chippers, they lack and get sloppy, thinking they're not near as dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as having an entire human body going through a chipper, smaller chippers are safer. You guys bring up some good points about saw injuries when cutting up for the chipping process, etc. I think the point is that if you use any piece of equipment or tool properly there is much less change on getting injured. Imo Morbark offering these bands for your feet is silly because it's like saying it's OK to use your feet to push brush in. Let's be honest, will anyone who kickes brush or logs into a chipper really put these safety things on there ankles? I doubt it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea, the ankle things are silly... can't imagine what they were thinking.

Well, the flip side of the coin is that maybe it isnt a matter of using your feet to push, but rather that legs can get caught by brush and you can, and people have, been pulled in that way. Ive fed a chipper wrong and had my leg get tangled in the brush going in. Never a sever case, but enough to make me wise up. I could see a knarly piece of material catching on someones pant leg, boots, chaps, etc and getting them off balance.

True. And once I had the connector between the feed bar and the hydraulics just snap off for no particular reason. It was kind of chilling thinking of what could happen if that had broken at a critical moment- leg gets caught, calmly reverse the feed bar, and it keeps feeding:\:

I do know a man that lost one leg feeding a chipper, then lost the prosthetic leg years later doing it again. He deserved it at that point.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey, nothing wrong with doing it with a prosthetic leg other than that it would dull the blades.

I guess you are right. But wouldnt you be wiser about it after losing your leg? How are fake legs connected? Any risk of being taken with the leg?

My Morbark chipper's owners manual say's to wear gloves with tight fitting cuffs only when feeding chipper, there's even a decal on the machine stating that.

These chip gloves with the open cuffs even if they do stop the feed roller may not stop it fast enough to avoid crushing your hand.
They should have stayed with the tight cuff standard.

did you watch the video Willard?
Yeah it's a good video Ed.
But I think Morbark is opening themselves up to a lawsuit claim here. With these open cuff gloves on the jobsite for a chipping crew, what if multiple chippers were on site without the Chip Safe and the operator gets his hand snagged and pulled into the machine, even worse into a chuck n duck model.

Just recall those fancy leather gloves and put tight cuffs on them.

Hard to be too safe. Even experienced people make mistakes and the consequences are huge. Still needs to be affordable, though.

Erik
Pro Cut

Back