Chipper RPM

Willie, Short AND small? That is no axe -more like a girlie hatchet. You better order those suppliments.

It ain't the meat, it's the motion...or so I have heard.

Remember me talkin' about the importance of head speed on the swing and strike? :evil:

OK, time to get back on topic...what was this thread about anywho???:lol:

Monkey, what kind of Gravely are you using? We have a ProChip 395 and run it at 3300 all the time. The manual recommends keeping it maxed out. Is there some benefit to running it at less rpm? I assume it would comsume less fuel, but there must be some down side..... right?

I looked at mine the other day. JD diesel I forget the the size about a 125 horse . Morbark 2400. About 2700 -2800 RPM at full throttle.

emr i too run a 395 but 90% of all my chipping is palm fronds so i dont need it maxed out but when i do max it out its usually for mesquite trees or some other hard wood no real down side

Monkey, what rpm will you set it at when chipping palms? I s it similar to the rest of the responses so far? How do you like your chipper? I heard Gravelys are great for chipping palms. Ours is a great work horse for us. It is simple to maintain and runs great. Too bad they are not made anymore.

emr i usually set it by ear cus i dont have a tach on it besides that i bought the chipper with out a motor and decided to up grade it to a 80 horse yanmar. but i pull out the throttle about 1/2 to 3/4 out so about 2200-2500 rpms

I have the digital tach set to 2500 for high and 2350 for the low.

It may also depend on size of engine too. I have the Bandit model 90, but I got the 85hp Cat Diesel. She does real well!:D

Back