Chipper Manufacturers

The 65/95 with the 90 degree angle disc is popular in the southern coastal areas (palms, I think), and the PNW according to the BB video. Funny, that.

One big big plus on a Bandit is that with 3 months lead time you can have the thing built to your exact specs. There are a lot of things I had put on that save a bunch of work every time I go to chip.

One thing that is not perfect yet about my 90XP is that it is still not excited to deal with brittle wood weather green or dead. No matter how many thousands of pounds of force on the feed wheels, broken shards of wood in the right combination can jam them up. (This was improved a lot by having it built with two feed wheels, doubeling the knives on the bottom(?) feed wheel and having lift and crush for when it does jam up.)

That said, I don't know of any machine or combo that I would want more than what I have right now.

Before I bought I rented various machines, and as I narrowed it down I traveled places to trade work for running the exact machine I thought I might want, or close to it. I even bought knives for two different machines that I was going to travel a ways to a rental yard and try out for a day.

Our work is hard enough. The wrong chipper can add 20 to 60% more pain to brush disposal in my opinion.

Big fan of Bandits, and have nothing bad to say about Morbark. My grandfather was one of the first, if not the first, Morbark salesman, selling pulpwood debarkers from here to Canada. Norville "Nub" Morey (sp) won the patent for the debarker in a card game. Bandit and Morbark are family, but don't get along, last I knew.

Big fan of Bandits, and have nothing bad to say about Morbark. My grandfather was one of the first, if not the first, Morbark salesman, selling pulpwood debarkers from here to Canada. Norville "Nub" Morey (sp) won the patent for the debarker in a card game. Bandit and Morbark are family, but don't get along, last I knew.

Dave, that is cool information, history.

Probably stay clear of Vermeer BC900 . It's a decent machine but the Kohler engine seems to suck at starting. That is the only issue we have. Vermeer replaced the engine once for us because of a corroded part on the governor. The new engine always starts for us but it cranks and cranks before it turns over. If they put a better engine on it I'd be much happier.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The last engine started great in the summer but then we had problems in winter. It was due to the salt spray off of the roads. I guess it was a common problem and that's why Vermeer replaced the engine for is. This new engine just needs to crank for 6-8 seconds when it's cold and 3-4 seconds when it's warm. That doesn't sound like a lot but when it's happening in real time it seems to take forever.

We have a similar sized Vanguard engine on our Vermeer 352 stump grinder and the thing starts like a dream. I haven't even had to choke it since we bought it this summer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

With traffic being what it is in heavy urban areas like LA, I would want a Euro spec chipper, super light and compact. British manufacturers have been steadily increasing the power and sophistication of chippers within a very tight size / weight package for the last ten years or so. Not really much use to Nick, but thought it might provide some interest -

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/geFWp6k2jaQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2AGdU2jukmQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VYxZEItYYbk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've used that first one the TW 230, it was brilliant, plus at less than 750 kg you can push it around like a pram.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wish I could get a Euro machine! I saw someone makes one that rotates on the frame. I would pay boku bucks for that feature.

I think trying to import a machine would be a disaster and trying to get it licensed in california would be an even bigger nightmare.

Are you talking about curbside feed, Nick?
Vermeer has offered that in the past on a 1250, iirc.
I'd go with BB. Maybe custom?

I don't know how the Vermeer works.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5sIK55k-1TA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bandit model 90

That's what I think we're getting

love
nick

The 65/95 with the 90 degree angle disc is popular in the southern coastal areas (palms, I think), and the PNW according to the BB video. Funny, that.

Nick, I was vague in the above line. In the Free Chip drop .com thread you mentioned palms. Are you having problems chipping your palms with the conventional 45 degree angle. Did you know about this Model 95 which might match your trees and palm chipping needs?

http://www.woodchippers.info/bandit.shtml

I am familiar with it. The sales guys have told me that if we're chipping mostly palms, then the 95xp is the machine to get. But honestly we are only doing palms once every week or two- so I'm not going to make our decision based on that.

Yeah! I love the idea of that TP200. Honestly I could really dig being able to pull up to a curb, swing the chipper around, then get to work!

One of the nice features of the old Vermeer 1250 that we bought that is no longer legal in CA ..... Shhhhhh
In your shoes... yes, I would have the 95. As it is, 90 or 95 will be our next chipper purchase.

I think Bandit would build that.
I believe that is currently on their all in one chipper/trailer package.

That would be freakin awesome...but we are going to be getting their 9" chipper and I bet they wouldn't be able to make that bigger machine swivel. It would rock my world though.

Back