Chipper issues

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 11
  • Views 4K
W

Wagnaw

I was wondering if any of you have a morbark chipper. If so, I gotta question about the ignition and murphy switch.

I was working on mine today because I kept having trouble starting it. It seemed like it's not getting enough juice from the battery, and I figured out that there is a little 30 amp fuse that keeps blowing out.

So, I'm keeping a box of the fuses handy, but what a pain in the rear. :X

Any of you all have a similar problem with them?

I'm also having a trouble with the yoke for the infeed wheels too. I can get it to compress but not lift, which sucks cause I need to get it up and locked so I can check the anvil.

The fuse issue is obviously an intermittent short somewhere, probaly a bare wire that sometimes grounds itself. You'll have to play detective and track that one down.

The yoke issue could be low fluid, a clogged filter or line, a bad valve, low pressure, again more detective work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks ya'll. I heard that morbark chippers had a hereditary kind of problem with the murphy switch, and was wondering if anyone knew more about that whole deal too.

I don't know about the other stuff, but with ours, we usually keep at least one Murphy switch handy at all times. I usually goes out a two or three times a year, but other than that, nothing major.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really?! You all have to pull that whole little box out?

My Murphy switch failed and so did my new engine. The new switch and engine are working fine.

never had an issue with the murphy switch but i had a week where i blew that 30 amp fuse 3 times. no trouble since. i have had a few of the wire crimps behind the start panel come loose. seems they used the cheapo pvc coated connectors, thats probably where your trouble is. another thing ive heard goes out is the safety switch for the drum cover but thats something that can be bypassed with a phillips screw driver to finish out the day

Back