Chipper gets hot

I had it explained to me that a cooler thermostat can lead to problems. An engine that does not reach proper temp may not evaporate any water in the oil and may have deposits build in the combustion chambers. Not my personal experience though. I always run 180 or hotter.

Cold engines die young.

I burned out the original aluminum rad on my bandit 250xp with a JD 140hp diesel in like 1750hrs. I had a replacement built locally out of copper and brass for less than ordering a new one from down south, and I have it built with larger spacing between the fins. Now my chipper runs dead on 180, never gets hot. Blow it out now and then as a preventative/inspection thing and it's super easy to blow out because the fins are so widely space, rarely much in it. I'd have a rad shop look at your rad if you're wondering about it.

I would think the excessive paint/filth on the motor would be a big heatsink and could be a big cause of your problem on a hot day. I'd get that cleaned/stripped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No scale. Paint is on the housing over the engine.

When I pull it out of the pole barn from painting, I'll back flush the radiator fins with water. Air didn't do much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
8ytavu8u.jpg
adara8u6.jpg
6e2a4yzu.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Back