Chip box build ?

Tig welding. There is a guy on welding tips and tricks that does something like that on high rise intake manifolds in aluminum.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have the roof and sides all done now just working on the tailgate. The snow right now is really effing with progress.

Here's the tail gate on my truck. I definitely prefer it over the single door. Fat ass hinges too image.jpg

Not sure what it's rated at but it holds well with a load of logs against it. It used to be like a dump truck gate flipping up and down but the guy before me made it into the barn door style. Being able to open it with the chipper on is great.

I need to build a gravel tailgate for my k boom, my thousand foot driveway can be a pain to rock without a spreader gate

Some more progress
Image.jpg
Image 2.jpg
Image 1.jpg
Getting closer. I need to finish a little bit of framing, sheeting, bracing, latch, and paint. Also I saved the brackets that the old tailgate attached to so I can have pin on ramps for the mini later down the road.

Nice looking welds Rajan.

Flux core is much harder to make nice looking welds than using bare wire and gas.

I watch the hell outta welding tips and tricks too. I get the weekly video.

Gonna buy me a TIG welder pretty soon.

Cody, I bought a 180 Dual Lincoln. Nice and small, runs gas and flux core, dual voltage. After rebate it was 800 bucks new in Great Falls. I really wanted a 256 PowerMig, but what I really needed was a handy wire feed that I could take to the field and take into a combine with me. I built a long extension cord that I can plug into my 300 amp Lincoln on my truck.

If I was going to do it again, I would buy the PowerMig 210 MP. Even lighter, a bit more powerful, runs mig, stick, and scratch start TIG. I think you can get one for a cool thousand. Not an aluminum machine on TIG, but will run a spool gun.

Thanks guys!

Jim flux core is a much slower process even tho I am running .035 wire only half of that is weld metal so you need to watch the puddle closely and hold you toes a bit longer that gas/wire, but the penetration with flux core is much higher. The same settings with gas/wire will easily melt thru with flux core.

Back