Chip box build ?

flushcut

TreeHouser
As the title says I am in the process of rebuilding my chip box. I have made the frame out of 1.5x1.5" x 3/16 wall steel tube. The bottom three feet of the box is 3/16 diamond plate that is being reused from the original box. So my question is that thickness should I go with for the rest of the box? I am thinking 1/8 or 14 gauge diamond plate. I use the truck for both chips and logs so the build is on the heavier side.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I probably should have retouched some of those pics so you guys can see better.

I love these threads, its been awhile since the last one!

14 is plenty with that framing I'd say. I built the box August is using now, there's s thread here somewhere

Yeah, I think that's whati built that other box out of and didn't have the structure you do. I had a huge break bend structure into that box rather than build a serious skeleton.

Cool, I would have loved to do a bent formed box but I am trying to keep the fab cost down. Ya know it's the Indian side talking.

I would think that single is stronger. Hinges on one side. Long-ish pin on the other. My Southco box has about a 6" pin. If the doors both pin to the floor, that should be strong, too.

You want to be able to unload the mini with the chipper jack-knifed, perhaps. That has to be a consideration.

I'd say that a lighter duty dutch door/ double half-width dutch doors would make the box lockable. That would help to secure a lot more gear. A big plus, at times, and depending on your tool box capacity under the dump bed.

I have double barn door and love it. I've used single door before and the obvious problem is when trying to open it in a tight spot. Double doors shine at this and I've had zero problems with them in the '99 truck they are in.

Any way you can take a pic of the doors, hinges, and latch? Pleases pretty please with sugar on top.

Ok I will try. It is a Southco body btw.

I built single door. Pros, less running back and forth to pin open and closed, fewer latches to hold door open and fewer hinges.
Double door pros. Can open doors with chipper on (depending on chipper tongue), less clearance needed to open, less strain on hinges

Yup, opening while chipper is attached is nice too.

Back