Cherry Removal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hear what you're saying Sean and agree to a point. I will point out it doesn't matter how good of a cutter or how much experience you have you can still get cut.

But the real beauty of it is you don't have to choose between hard hat or leg pro. Both are readily available.
do you wear arm chaps, chainsaw protective shirt, or the new power rangers helmet as well? I'm sure reading this I sound like an ass but i'm not trying to be. just wondering how far you go with ppe. do you draw the line somewhere?

A FISTA trainer that I had once would always say "It either makes sense or it don't." with regards to ppe. To me, it makes sense to protect myself against the most common or deadly hazards. Hard hats and chaps cover both common and deadly. Being self employed I don't have to follow OSHA or anyone else's safety guidelines. But I always try to follow the "it makes sense or it dont" rule of thumb.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Too hot. If I had to wade through a clusterfark of downed logs, bucking them, I might give them a shot. But that's not my day to day gig.

Long term chainsaw use and both chaps and helmet have saved me from injury, no doubt a deep cut across the thigh without the leg protection. Other protection hasn't been needed. Both are no brainers in my opinion, given the predictability of stuff falling from above and the part of your body that the chain revolves in proximity to with the overall motion involved, unless there is a good reason not to in your mind, as in MB's case. Perhaps if there is a superman out there that never gets their concentration affected by fatigue, chaps are lesser important. If you don't want to wear sunscreen, that's your
business. :lol:

As this has derailed a bit into ppe here's my 2 pennethworth. Hard heads with ear protection pretty much all the time. Chainsaw trousers with front protection pretty much all the time.
Back in the day I was all gung ho about it, but it's not really that much effort. The helmet should go without saying. As for the trousers, nice modern airy ones, one size to big, no real bother, actually more comfy when climbing for your knees and suchlike.
It surprises me that in The US, where, to be fair, most innovation and new techniques seems to originate, a lot of folks still don't bother.

I'll spend hours in the bucket then come down and drop a tree or two, without chaps... never seemed like a big deal.. a couple quick cuts.. do I really need the chaps??? Last year I mishandled a saw on a falling cut... 66 with a 28" bar kicked back out of the cut with more force than I was ready for and landed and inch or two from knee... SCARY... in the last 20 years that's the only time I can remember having a close call that leg protection would have helped...

Worn over your work clothes, front and a small amount of side protection image.jpg

Ive been wearing the pfanners this winter. Love them for logging and ease of use i guess you can say. Cannot imagine them in summer. Will def switch back to chaps or hope they make a super lightweight version.

Thought you meant those, I can see why you wouldn't bother.
Why not just get a couple of pairs of high quality airy front protection trousers?

Really a bother, maybe thirty seconds to put them on and less time to take them off. They keep you clean underneath, especially when kneeling down, you can sit on them if there is no other place than rocky ground to eat your lunch, sharpen your saw on your lap without thinking you'll be getting oil on your expensive trousers, and also are a great aid when walking through thorny brush. Various brands and some color choices, and someone may have been thoughtful enough to add a little closing pocket to hold a carb adjusting screwdriver or scrench. With enough use, you can form a lasting spiritual like connection with the chaps. Kind of like what Hell's Angels call their "originals" that they don't ever want to wash until maybe their old lady throws them out of the house. ;) Saw trousers, not quite the same. Chaps not purposeful for climbing, I'd agree to that, and trousers are more sharp looking. On the other hand, chaps are probably cheaper than trousers, but can last ten or twenty times as long with basically no care required, 'cept try not to cut them.

Sounds like fun! Good idea to get all your stuff out and use it. Nice video. I would love to be on the ground and watch.

We have to wear ppe or we get sent off of the fire. I suppose they could take my saw card away if I was caught not wearing it repeatedly. Long sleeve nomex shirts and nomex pants are HOT. Then add a helmet and chaps. It used to bother me but i really believe it could save my life. If i cut my leg off four hours away by helicopter to a hospital i am screwed. One nice thing is that it is dry, unlike Louisiana!

Sorry to add to the derail. I appreciate the video Page.

do you wear arm chaps, chainsaw protective shirt, or the new power rangers helmet as well? I'm sure reading this I sound like an ass but i'm not trying to be. just wondering how far you go with ppe. do you draw the line somewhere?

Umm I think Jay summed it up best for me in regards to saw ppe. That is if you were actually interested in an answer or just needed to vent.

Do I draw the line somewhere? Yah WCB regs to not follow them up here is big fines and just plain stupid imo. So how does it work down there as far as compo/insurance to ensure that you and your client are protected for anything that may occur while doing work on their property?

I guess I sound like an ass too.

Be safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The rules for my insurance are vague, (is that how you spell that) I wear a helmet when I do work for other people, and sometimes when working for me. I appreciate all the crap I'm getting about it and I am trying to wear it more, but old habits die hard and some trees just don't require it imo. saddle and rope either for that matter but thats another topic. hope you enjoyed the video as I had fun making it. I really wanna take the time to do a nice video with maybe two cameras on the ground and one in the tree, maybe when i get a helmet cam I'll start wearing my helmet more:lol:

I was a level III first aider in a big logging camp for a few years of my life. I worked production but I was the guy called in to doctor people. I've dealt with countless injuries from minor to as serious as it gets.

I believe in ppe.

Good on ya for making and sharing the vid. I shouldn't have griped at yah. If we ever meet I owe yah a beer.

Wtf? I dislike clicking on mindless bullshit. If you've nothing to say, spare us the misery, please. This is sometimes a family read forum.

Interesting.

I seen more than a few snarky comments here and there and not once did you chastise. Is it because I'm a neub and you're putting me in my place? If so, that's cool- I've seen it happen a lot on other forums- with established members showing who rules the roost.

Sorry to waste your time.

Nothing to do with ruling the roost, that isn't a thing here. Merely a cautionary to watch your language. Some thought to subject matter before posting isn't bad.

Back