Chef's knives

Dave Shepard

Square peg, round world.
I'm looking at Wusthof and Lamson. Anyone have any experience with either? I like German stuff, but Lamson is made in the US.

Dont ask me, I just did a goofy video review of 2 bushcraft knives, I carved up chicken wings with them as I am tired of watching guys try to use camp knives as axes. LOL
At home we have the cheapo Henckels, plastic handle $10-$20 each, serviceable but not high end at all.

Waste of time warning: http://youtu.be/GNEC9GCzsTw

ps, if you see any popup ads, click one wouldya? I make a couple pennies each time.

I bought the wife a set of Burgvogels' a few years back .I tried to keep an edge on them with a steel but gave up .Fact just about 10 minutes ago I put them away after honing them on the old Norton stone .Rascals are sharp now .I dislike stainless steel knives but I guess that's all you get these days .

Anyone have an idea where a person could buy a good old carbon steel knife these days worth a damned ?

I bought the wife a set of Burgvogels' a few years back .I tried to keep an edge on them with a steel but gave up .Fact just about 10 minutes ago I put them away after honing them on the old Norton stone .Rascals are sharp now .I dislike stainless steel knives but I guess that's all you get these days .

Anyone have an idea where a person could buy a good old carbon steel knife these days worth a damned ?
..... Mine are French ... I just bet Sabbatier is still in businness

I've got a couple good carbon steel knives .A Foster Brothers that looks like a cavalry saber for one and few others .Now those I can get sharp with a steel .

Just something about stainless .I know people like them because they don't rust .Nothing is like the edge you can put on a good carbon steel knife though .Lawdy how I hate a dull knife .

Ya know I've got a couple of identical old timer pocket knives except two are stainless ,one is carbon steel .I carry the carbon steel ,the stainless are in the drawer .

Tri Stone will sharpen a stainless pretty good. Carbon steel is the shiz nit though. German steel (not chromed or stainless) rocks. I had some really wonderful knives once upon a time. All stolen in a kitchen I worked in. All German steel. Hilt was nice and round into a black handle. Just fit my hand perfect. Probably close to $800-1000.00 worth of knives by today's money. One French style chef knife cost me better than a c note.

You need to pick them up and handle them, most of them cut the same. do a little reading on steel and how to sharpen and you'll be fine.

I've got a couple of hunting knives made of Solgen steel which will hold an edge like a razor .

In a former life with former wife there were some good steel knives but where they went after her demise I have not a clue .In addition there were a dozen straight razors and two strops I seemed to have lost in the process .

P1010465.JPG

Al, good knives can be had from Japan.
A ceramic steel works way better that a steel one IMO.
That is all I use today.

Smashing garlic, Chinese cleaver works awesome.. Actually one of my favorite knives for prep work.
7PsVFkwSHIDkHswlhgR6CqM71MjmZ1PVvXLSs4IyZLvFZl7z-SdIwkT-gyRR3v7FXOdFiGCaSxV8ZvCB7TRXW03isRXp8sbUcqhn5IKnBC-AJAGGIIR1YArZ22U8bXlvEsckT1BJOqsqFnAOIr55SOVbT5AmUmK3LoNNa8IaV3fSHAs_BxHxXxJdbU3SIB33Wk1QS-vLQMHEVcQ11h6Nh-3PFhpVKrs

I want one! I have plenty of knives for heavy work, it's just that the ceramic knife is my go to weapon, and I have to make a conscious effort to remember how fragile it is.

When I first had the opportunity to use one, I thought it would be too much knife for prep... Once you get used to the size of the blade, smooth rocking motion, blade weight, it works sweet. Great for mincing parsley as well. Don't try using it like a butchers cleaver though. I tried separating some pork ribs once with it. Bad move. Blade edge is too fine. Chicken and fish is ok.

Best blades in the world come from Seki, Japan in my opinion.
My Dad loves cooking, so I've bought him a few made by Shun over the years. I was very impressed so I got myself one, I went with a Shun santoku 7" I love it, I actually look forward to the prep work when cooking.

There's tons of more affordable brands out there that are made in Seki, I'd strongly encourage anyone that cooks regularly to treat themselves to one.

I'm googling around trying to find out if Silky saw blades are from Seki or a different city.

20190531_075400.jpg

I've got a cleaver and a skinning knife that were made by my great grandfather that are well over 100 years old .He was a crafty old coot I could never understand with his Liverpool British accent .Too bad I was about 12 when he passed and could have gained some valuable info had I been older and he had lived longer. At any rate those take and hold an edge very well .What type of steel it is I'll likely never really know .

Best blades in the world come from Seki, Japan in my opinion.
My Dad loves cooking, so I've bought him a few made by Shun over the years. I was very impressed so I got myself one, I went with a Shun santoku 7" I love it, I actually look forward to the prep work when cooking.

There's tons of more affordable brands out there that are made in Seki, I'd strongly encourage anyone that cooks regularly to treat themselves to one.

I'm googling around trying to find out if Silky saw blades are from Seki or a different city.

View attachment 94123

I'm no knife expert, but that is Damascus steel, isn't it? I hope I spelled that right.

Tim

Not true Damascus but sure looks like it. The Shun knives have a thin core in the blades made of a very hard steel, then a different, softer stainless is layered on it.
I believe real Damascus takes a bit more care and maintenance to prevent rusting. I think.

Back