Cheap Rigging Winch

treegongfu

TreeHouser
I'm thinking of using a Greenfield sky winch as a tree lifting device.

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on its suitability and offering it up as a potential tree attachable lifting device at a much lower price.

It appears to grab the rope in the same manner as the masdam rope puller.

It sells for $45 on the Walmart Web page

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Greenfield-SKYWinch-for-Up-to-1-2-Rope/35879263

It would need a backing plate welded on to make it attachable to the tree.

It would need a backing plate welded on to make it attachable to the tree.[/QUOTE]

Doubt it's rated for lifting. be careful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
K. Thanks for the caution Reg.

I haven't seen any specs regarding its capacity. "For pulling up to 18 foot boat onto trailer" sounded good but now...

I thought the same thing there Jimmy boy but wasn't too sure.

Purpose built tree gear is expensive. I want a rcw 3001 but I need to save money for purchasing a truck as well as other things.

Why are you two being civil? Is this a setup for an attack?

The elite Walmart online not in-store.

I think I need to get one and check it out. If it is unsuitable l ' ll send it to Jim for his boat trailer as long as he says "from each according to his ability and to each according to his need.".

I believe rigging trees with that Walmart winch is equivalent to climbing trees on junk hardware store rope. Instead of looking at purpose built tree tools costing you money, consider them an investment for making you money in a reliable, predictable, and safe manner.

Yes, bona fide tree gear is expensive. However its cheaper then smashing houses. I understand that you seem to be trying to stay within a budget right now. We all are. But a tree needs tree tools. There's no professional way to avoid it.

Neat, I can think of a few uses out of the tree, but if it's used for lifting, use a solid 12 strand with a prusik back up?

Just have it drop shipped directly to Jim, order a porty and fiddle block if you're desperate. Then save up for the proper gear. I hesitate to say expensive gear because it actually makes you money, need to change your mindset there. We don't buy expensive stuff, we invest in efficiency as business owners. Go big or go home!

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I hesitated on the expensive too. It seems the general consensus is negative. If I go ahead and have positive results I'll let it known.

Someone gave me a 10/1 pulley setup once from harbor freight. I tore that thing to pieces shredding the pulleys and snapping bolts. Good thing I tested it ripping out a rotten cedar stump. ( I did get the stump out) pulling and lifting is easy enough to set up with micro pulleys or blocks that you probably already own. Of course you could always try it and have it backed up just in case

I edited my post, but likely would go unseen... maasdam rope puller, 41.50 shipped on amazon. No grcs, but I've never been failed by it.

Redirect with blocks to a truck where the porty is anchored. Drive to lift, porty to lower.

Obviously doesn't replace a grcs. Light lifting, sure.

3 strand will possible hockle a rigging line if three stand is hitched on rigging line "above" porty.

Seems like masdams slip even with 3 strand..... i never feel I'm getting my 1500 lbs of pull.

Great little tool, but 1500lbs ? no, it can't come close to that. The handle vs drum gives you a 10:1 MA, so I guess that the average pull is around 800/900lbs.
I did some hard pulls with it, and at that point the drum begins to damage the rope, shredding the fibers.
With mine, only one time the rope slipped in the drum. It was just a few strokes after taking out the slack of the rope, because I didn't seat well the rope in the groove.

If you need a 1500lbs pull, just add a block to get a 2:1 MA.

Back