cheap chipper mods.

PCTREE

Treehouser
OK so here food for thought,2 ways to keep chipper operational costs down. One hokie redneck other a bit more scientific. First is a way to keep the feed wheel springs going indefinately....Second is a bypass oil filter which will remove all oil contaminants down to 1 micron, your full flow filter gets 50 microns and above. 90% of engine wear is caused by contaminants in the 1-10 micron range. A bypass system will pretty much stop engine wear..........

Attachments

• spring.jpg
    spring.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
as you can see my chipper needs all the help it can get......

Attachments

• rgs.jpg
    rgs.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 23
Id like to add that oil filter mod to all my diesels. Where do you get that and how/where to you hook it up?

Due to the fact that I'm a cheap bastard I bought mine off of ebay. RGS has gone out of business so I got 4 units and about 20 filters for $300. However when the filters run out I'm SOL. If I were you I'd look into "FS2500 oil bypass system". They seem to have the best filters out. Amsoil makes them too but the filters are expensive to replace. I just put a threaded T in the journal that the oil pressure switch is on. This gives you oil at 50 or so psi, you then need a small orifice say 1mm to regulate the flow to I believe about 5 gallons an hour. So this small volume of oil is pushed at 50psi through the filter the whole time you are running and then returns via gravity back to the sump. Im sure whoever you buy from could set you up with a system.

Note: I am totally sold on this idea but the one thing to bear in mind is you introduce EXTERNAL oil lines. If a line breaks you will pump ALL of your oil out and lock the motor........:O

Forgot to mention, Im putting a cummins 5.9 in my ford f350 which currently has a 460 gas. Im going to put a FS2500 on the TRANS as that thing is going to take some abuse so why not at least give it totally clean fluid all the time, hopefully then it might be able to deal with the ass wooping torque :D

yeah but Ive heard by the time you lose oil pressure its too late. I dont have any first hand experience with that though

I had an Amsoil bypass system on my chipper....but had a problem with clearances, and took it off. Need to put it back on.

I have another bypass system that uses toilet paper filters....research has shown nothing filters better. and 29 cents for a filter!

I had an Amsoil bypass system on my chipper....but had a problem with clearances, and took it off. Need to put it back on.

I have another bypass system that uses toilet paper filters....research has shown nothing filters better. and 29 cents for a filter!

something to be said for cheap:)

Frantz has made bypass filters which use TP for many years. double roll single ply Scott works well in my small filter for gas engines, which was obtained from www.gulfcoastfilters.com. They primarily make larger filters for diesel rigs...which take their elements or a paper towel roll.

Prolly contact GCF and have them send or email you the installation instructions. Idunno but I'm tempted to put that system on my bucket truck. Lots of hours running time without going anywhere. ;)

Always wondered if those kinda filters reduce overall oil pressure or put more pressure on the pump?
I dont know much about hydraulics.

Man i change oil every like two weeks or darn near .
Its stupid but i like to be sure.
Deffinatly gonna get a extra oil filter and whay not extra hyd. filter to and shoot might as well put on a pre air filter and a giant filter in front of the radiator .
Yes yes yes thats would be rad and im serious.
Might last forever

Always wondered if those kinda filters reduce overall oil pressure or put more pressure on the pump?
I dont know much about hydraulics.

if its on the return side it will increase the oil pressure in the engine, if its before the engine it will reduce oil pressure a bit i would think. anytime you increase resistance you build pressure and heat. shouldnt be enough to hurt anything, the oilsystem is designed to be under pressure

Prolly contact GCF and have them send or email you the installation instructions. Idunno but I'm tempted to put that system on my bucket truck. Lots of hours running time without going anywhere. ;)

A bypass system probably wouldn't do anything while your truck is working as there probably is no oil bypassing. It would only function while you are driving, I'm thinkin. If the bypass system gets plugged up does it then put more oil toward the motor or does it have another secondary bypass to relieve the pressure? The oil does get kind of dirty in that situation with the products of incomplete combustion and even unburned fuel to contaminate the oil. If my truck has been running the boom all day it smokes like heck when i get back on the road for the first half mile or so.

I really dont think the bypass filter drops your oil preasure noticably. As I said mine takes the oil from the oil line that goes to the oil preasure gage. At 50psi it lets about 5 gallons an hour pass through, very little flow. If it gets blocked it is the same as it not being there, you cannt build up more pressure than the pump makes. And yes it filters when you are just idleing, as long as you have oil pressure it will flow.....

Filtertech (http://www.filtertech.com/) makes a nice unit that I use for lube oil filtering in the plant. The elements are the string-wound type, and aren't too expensive. They can be had from .5 to 100 microns. They remove even the fine diamond dust particles that wears off the drawing dies.

On the issue of pressure drop, if you size the filter correctly you'll get extremely little to none.

The best way to assure you are running clean oil is to change it on a regular bassis .Oil is cheap ,engine rebuilds are not . By the way ,my used oil goes to my buddy who heats a 60 by 95 foot building with a waste oil burner .

The best way to assure you are running clean oil is to change it on a regular bassis .Oil is cheap ,engine rebuilds are not . By the way ,my used oil goes to my buddy who heats a 60 by 95 foot building with a waste oil burner .

So, is the main reason to put one of those on just to keep your oil extra clean?

:lol: No not really .It is a cheap source of heat though providing you can get enough old crankcase oil .

I know three people that have them .One is trucking company with around 50 semi's .Another is welding shop .The third is my buddy with about 400 thousand bucks worth of autos in that big building .

I think he has storage for like two thousand gallons of oil or something like that . I think he paid 2500 --3 g's for that heater .It will keep that building at 50-55 degrees even below zero out .

Back