Champion Trees

Every older generation has had stuff to say about the younger generation. I'd love to hear the parent's laments 100, 200, 300 years ago. That would be a HOOT!

Are Canada's Parks not well visited?

Reg, is the area you are visiting a Provincial park, National Park or something else?

Things are okay here. You can own mountains if you want to, and have the money. People take care of the land.

Maybe because its still the "little" guy out here....and we are 50 years behind the rest of youse lot.

Being an terrible optimist, I have been doing some reading Butch.

It seems that the Millennials are starting to come around to things.....a bit.

Every generation has a purpose. Almost every time its in response to the generation that came before.

The Millennials are shaping up to be the next "hero" generation.

No Shit!

Always gotta bring fat people into it.......fak!

You're not fat Jim, you're a Inuit! The odd person is pre-disposed to being heavy, most people simply eat to much. Hand to mouth disease, and it is a giant burden on modern society through medical costs. So the very same gluttony that is being sold to us daily by big burger and pizza business is costing us insane amounts in medical expenses. And our elected officials are all good with it because heh we need the economy to thrive right? I'm no skinny mini, but I try to be conscious of what I eat and how much I eat. Calories in vs calories out. Latest ad I hear near constantly on the local yokel radio is about the newest and greatest procedure for carving fat out of your 'problem areas' surgically. To try to say that fat isn't a newer phenomenon for the massive masses would be akin to sticking your head in the sand. Now there's business selling you the things that make you fat and business to be had getting rid of it too.

Butch I think you're right about the generation thing, but maybe each generation is right too?

We have plenty of parks and beautiful natural areas around too Jim. But if you start to head out and about in BC the massive amount of logging can't be mistaken. It's everywhere.

I think Reg was referring more to that despite their being an abundance of natural beauty at every British Columbians doorstep, many just aren't interested in it. Too caught up in the rat race.

Part of Regs description of his experience in Canada is why I live rural and would never live in a major city centre. I have a fairly big seeming to me city nearby. Vernon, BC (40,000ish peeps). I refer to it simply as the sh-thole and avoid going there as much as possible.

Funny story just a day ago in the local news. A crow dropped a used needle on a couple of people. No one was 'stuck' so I found it humorous.

That does not sound good, bird deployed bio hazard.

I am 30 miles away from a 8000 person town.

150 miles away from a 60,000 person town.

Its not a bad way to live, really. You do not HAVE to live in a huge shithole to make it.

I would question if the UK is really big on 'the truth' overall. But I've never even been there let alone lived there. Seems most 'developed' nations aren't really fond of the truth though. More like the polished turd truth.

Here's some examples of what I mean about telling the people the truth. Take Chek News, which is a local news mainly but who do also feature National and Global stories too. A few months back there was several incidents of people (including kids) being pricked by used needles downtown. One such incident was where some druggie friggin' bastard had taped his used needle under a handrail for the stairs in a parking lot. But instead of condemning the fuckers they instead had some doe-gooder analyst labelling all the drug users in town (of which theres an epidemic) as victims. And that this is only happening because they don't have a safe place to inject. Poor them. Meanwhile those who got pricked are awaiting their test results, to see what they've picked up....but of course, they're not the real victims in all this, according to the report.

2 young girls were trapped and molested in Bay centre mall, downtown. Maybe they were 12 and 13. The police wouldn't give details on they had to endure. The perpetrator escaped, and was never caught. The article ends, again with some simple **** telling the public that theres nothing at all to worry about, because statistically these incidents are rare. No warning, no telling your kids about this, its just nothing at all to worry about.

3 people have gone missing and found dead in the last month or so. One in Cowichan where his car was actually found still running....and two others I think first went missing in Ucluelet. I think the latter 2 bodies were recently found in the sea. The police are suggesting by their actions that they are all victims of foul play, without actually confirming it....but the News is reporting that they are just dead, nobody knows how, and probably in heaven now anyway. Alls well ends well. Nothing to be alarmed or vigilant about when you're out in these remote places.

The Major of Victoria is a lesbian. She was on Chek News a couple of weeks ago to announce that she and her staff were going to fast for ramadam. And whats more, the residents of Victoria should follow her example and also fast. Well as far as I know, you cant be a part time muslim?.or weekend muslim for that matter. No mention either that if she went to Saudi, or Iran to practice her gayness....theres a strong chance she'd face either life in prison with torture, or be executed. But let not mention that on the news, just that shes trying the muslim thing, and you can too! Everyone's a winner. I could go on and recite many more stories, Justin. But you probably get the point.

Having lived through and remembering the Yorkshire Ripper, Fred and Rosemary West, Harold Shipmen, and countless other murderers and child abductors?.the police and media told us the truth. Watch yourself, watch and warn to your kids, women avoid certain areas at night, and don't travel alone. I might not always like the truth, but Id much rather here it than be sleepwalked through a fairytale reality. Don't get me wrong, Ive met and known some really good, solid people here....but they seems to be of an older generation.

Are Canada's Parks not well visited?

Reg, is the area you are visiting a Provincial park, National Park or something else?

The areas surrounding the Big Douglas fir is Crown land, public land without being an actual Park. But a logging company can manage/harvest the forested areas with a tree farm licence. There are provincial parks scattered around that area too, but mainly they are directly adjoining the coast. Im working on a video of the trip right now. Got some good footage of the area.

Yo fellows, the Treehouse is back with a vengeance. This discussion is simply awesome- so far reaching and so down to earth at the same time. Good humor too.

I actually read aloud several posts to my wife and son. Good stuff, man.

Reg, regarding more people experiencing the forest, around these parts you hear advertising on the radio about getting out in the forest and all the fun shit there is to do there, clearly targeting peeps who don't have anything forest-related on their radar. Advertising used for good!

Rad crow story, Squish. Speaking of crows, was trimming up a big old spruce couple weeks ago and out near the end of a branch about 40' up was a big ol bread crumb. Had to figure it was brother crow's handiwork.

From my lessons in ecology at the university (ecology as in study of the ecosystems, not the political/marketing shit), the ecosystems evolve in successive stages with different bunches of species. The first stage is a bare land ( after fire, landslide, volcano eruption...). The last and most accomplished one is the forest, at least if the surrounding conditions permit it. The final picture is an "old-growth" forest, varying in details, species ... along the said conditions.

Mother Nature varies continuously these conditions, either locally or generally, in a short or very long time. The different army of species follow, come in and out. She does make some clear-cuts, very small when a big tree falls in the forest crushing his neighbors, or some giant ones with massive fires or killer's invasions.
That wipes the board and all the process begins again, either with the same cards (that ends with the same result) or with different ones (so comes a new ecosystem).
It's the same with the clear cuts, the forest will come back again or you can get something else because the conditions have too much evolved (soil erosion, water regime...).
There's a saying " the Nature hates the void". That's right, you can find life everywhere in the world. But to see it at its most accomplished stage (momentarily), that takes time, a blink of an eye for her, a lot of time for us short-lived specie.

They estimate the time to get a tempered forest at its full completion (all the species in a somewhat steady equilibrium) at 800 years.
Not really so much when we think at it.

The "management" of the humans (in the best case) tries to keep artificially in function the last stage, or a semblance of it, to harvest its most valuable resources as often as possible. It's done by shortcutting the long process of the natural ecosystem's construction, planting the final desirable specie(s), and shooting the others involved in the early stages. So, the pioneer species (usually fast growing and short lived) aren't allowed in the stand because per nature they have invasive capabilities and can easily overcome the "good" species. Those need more time and more controlled conditions to grow, conditions normally brought by the established stand of the pioneer species.

That works in a certain way but that leads to a very poor ecosystem, at least at the beginning. With a "little" time, things will be self leveled and all is aimed to attain the "old growth" model. Problem, the human is impatient and he makes a reset once in a while.

Funny about Crown land.

We have all sorts of Govt land. City, County, State, Federal.

At least when it comes to State and Federal it seems that the Govt does not give much of a shit.

I got a nasty letter one time because my cows had dared to shit on State land during the winter time.

That next spring the oil field that is on our land and the State's land ran a bunch of oil and production water down my creek.

No nasty letter was dispatched.

I guess it would seem to me Reg that you are picking and choosing your news stories. I watch/read the news regularly and often see warnings to the public about attempted abductions or sexual predators etc etc etc. You feel there's a active intent to misinform the public? As compared to say the UK or anywhere else? A very quick perusal of my localish news shows "awoke to intruder in home", some weirdo having sex with a teen in the name of god, etc etc. I don't get the gist from my news source that there's nothing to worry about. Daily they feature outstanding wanted, still at large, warnings of breaks in or other crimes and on and on. I do agree though that there is a bleeding heart mentality towards drug addicts that I vehemently oppose. That seems prevalent everywhere, I'd as soon flood the market with deadly doses and let the problem solve itself. Even that's not working though with the cost of emergency aid. Also from my living here I'd say you are smack dab in the middle of the very worst place in the province for 'political correctness' being local to Victoria.

That mayor story is funny as hell.

From my lessons in ecology at the university (ecology as in study of the ecosystems, not the political/marketing shit), the ecosystems evolve in successive stages with different bunches of species. The first stage is a bare land ( after fire, landslide, volcano eruption...). The last and most accomplished one is the forest, at least if the surrounding conditions permit it. The final picture is an "old-growth" forest, varying in details, species ... along the said conditions.

Mother Nature varies continuously these conditions, either locally or generally, in a short or very long time. The different army of species follow, come in and out. She does make some clear-cuts, very small when a big tree falls in the forest crushing his neighbors, or some giant ones with massive fires or killer's invasions.
That wipes the board and all the process begins again, either with the same cards (that ends with the same result) or with different ones (so comes a new ecosystem).
It's the same with the clear cuts, the forest will come back again or you can get something else because the conditions have too much evolved (soil erosion, water regime...).
There's a saying " the Nature hates the void". That's right, you can find life everywhere in the world. But to see it at its most accomplished stage (momentarily), that takes time, a blink of an eye for her, a lot of time for us short-lived specie.

They estimate the time to get a tempered forest at its full completion (all the species in a somewhat steady equilibrium) at 800 years.
Not really so much when we think at it.

The "management" of the humans (in the best case) tries to keep artificially in function the last stage, or a semblance of it, to harvest its most valuable resources as often as possible. It's done by shortcutting the long process of the natural ecosystem's construction, planting the final desirable specie(s), and shooting the others involved in the early stages. So, the pioneer species (usually fast growing and short lived) aren't allowed in the stand because per nature they have invasive capabilities and can easily overcome the "good" species. Those need more time and more controlled conditions to grow, conditions normally brought by the established stand of the pioneer species.

That works in a certain way but that leads to a very poor ecosystem, at least at the beginning. With a "little" time, things will be self leveled and all is aimed to attain the "old growth" model. Problem, the human is impatient and he makes a reset once in a while.

Well said, sir.

c528dd5d3366434d78f66f28ae8cb71a.gif