Caribbean/Tropical tree work!!!

Don't feel rained on...topping is common all over the planet, and damaged ecosystems, be they reefs or alpine meadows, are endemic. If we don't do better soon, we'll kill ourselves off. Too many people.

You can't cure stupid. But who needs shade in Barbados, anyway?

:D

Swing, it great to have you join in here at the TreeHouse. I like your style, and it's fine to see front of the pack climbing techniques down island.

Thanks Mr B, that is a nice compliment, I try to do things the right way but HO's can be very frustrating. Education is the key and I am trying to do my best with the sometimes poor situations I am given. That is why I joined the treehouse and buzz so I can learn as much as I can ( I have a fairly good mentor here when it comes to rigging and heavy removals but the climbing and tree health stuff is what I crave ). Felling too by the way Mr B as I know that is your specialty.

Not seeing many volunteers lining up to help with that...I know I'm not gonna do so :lol:.

Well, except I decided long ago that I was not the sort of person to do the fatherhood thing, and thankfully landed with a fine woman who shared that view. So you cannot blame me!

Fist bump, Stig! :D

Oh HELL YEA. :drink:

I do agree I am a solitude kind of guy, just me and the family. Don't keep too much company just a few close friends. But I do like these forums as you can learn a lot from the " experienced " folks. I actually am going and spend four weeks by a dude I befriended on the buzz, leaving next thursday and am stoked big time. New England near the sea in the summer time for some climbing action. Gotta love this job. But the world's population definitely exploding at a fast pace. Barbados has 280,000 people living in 166 square miles how is that for density. We got a lot of agricultural land unoccupied to boot. Sardine can syndrome.

Tokyo has a population density of over 6000 people per square kilometer. Girl hunting paradise. Some old trees too.

Not seeing many volunteers lining up to help with that...I know I'm not gonna do so :lol:.

Well, except I decided long ago that I was not the sort of person to do the fatherhood thing, and thankfully landed with a fine woman who shared that view. So you cannot blame me!

Fist bump, Stig! :D

Right on!!!:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha, Swing, dead casuarina...mmmmhhmmm! How many chains did you go through?
I'm actually a bit surprised you rigged off it, I sure as heaven wouldn't want to!

How's your rainfall been these last few years? We're in the fourth year of spring drought, going into summer 8-10" behind.
I am seeing more and more older poincianas just karkin' it this year when stresses get too high, like being topped or having a house built too close and being the dump site for the rubble and soil.

Glad you all like the leafless tree pic, I thought I had posted it before, but it must have been somewhere else. Its my wallpaper on the computer, its my favourite.

Off to do the annual environmental summer camp again, see you all in a week's time!

Indeed, the smell of the tropical air is something to behold at the right time year!
Right now we have Frangipani, false ebony, fiddlewood and pittosporum all competing for the sensory overload.

Camp was great again, 13 new young adults initiated into the wonders of our amazing and diverse marine and terrestrial natural history...camping, limited elecricity, solar showers, dipping buckets for the loo, field trips, lectures, tests and loads of FUN! Snorkelling 9 miles offshore on pristine coral reef, wading chest deep through mangrove mud, scavenger hunts for shells and seeds and seagrass bed exploration. New friends and a new eye for their Island home.

We dodged the weather, it poured with rain at night, but co-operated in the day, and the wind didn't cause us any worries, even with having to come and go from camp by boat! I added a modification to my hammock sleeping arrangement, a tarpaulin rigged over the top and I slept outside the whole week, rain never touched me, it was like being in a suspended tree tent! SOmeone got a picture, I'll try to get it soon.

Back to reality again, casuarinas, norfolk pines await.

TS Debbie sent us some needed rain, but it fell at night! And the overcast kept us a bit cooler than normal on some of the all day out in the sun field trips.

Oh yeah, I had taken a tree house tee shirt along, nice long sleeves for being out in the sun...unbeknownst to me, they kidnapped it and tie-dyed it for a present on the last day! I now have THE most awesome Tree House T shirt in the WORLD!

That's cool! A pic would be nice!

I'm working on it...the shirt was still wet when I left on Saturday...and now I'm back on the mainland and don't have a camera, maybe get a photo on the weekend when we do camp debrief.

Looking forward to that, Fi. Once again, kudos for your involvement in the camp...best thing going is bringing awareness of the natural world to the young.

Swing, Gigi, do you ever get to work on Baygrape/Seagrape Coccoloba uvifera?

I have a bunch to do, mostly small shaded ones that have sent up loads of vertical growth. I have to try and get them to thicken out a bit.
ITs nice when you get a larger one and are able to get some timber, beautiful strong, flexible red wood.

Back