Carabiner

• Thread starter klimbinfool
  • Start date
  • Replies 114
  • Views 12K
Cool. I was just curious, never seen an all black climbing rope... I kinda want one.

Keep on the footlocking. Once you have it wired you'll never wear a Pantin again... and then won't sound ghey as much by actually pronouncing 'Pantin'

Ebay guy has it. Sampson product Chip. Usually runs about .72-.75 per foot.... I love the black thing... As stiff as it is, it's not for everyone.. But man it holds up... Reason I like it is that the mechanicals work well on it.. And it holds up well on rock.

Ebay guy has it. Sampson product Chip. Usually runs about .72-.75 per foot.... I love the black thing... As stiff as it is, it's not for everyone.. But man it holds up... Reason I like it is that the mechanicals work well on it.. And it holds up well on rock.

That sounded real bad... Can I start over?:lol:

I call it the 'freedom ascender' :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

This has turned into a super interesting read, thanks for starting it, Greg.

The last setup works very well for keeping the carabiners in proper alignment and no clanking. Its very simple to use and low cost

Dave

The last set up is interesting. What termination knot is that holding both bineres. The no-clanking is nice, but it looks like you have to disconnect both biners to go around a limb. Is that a problem re time spent vs other setups which only require one unhook/rehook?

i run a hitc climber with some oval krabs, like folk have said a spliced eye hooked up to the middle attachment hole works best, on teh top hole the splice and krab hit the hitch to easily.

when using a standard micro pully i didn't like a vt, too much work, now i'm onto a hitch climber i'm happy as a pig in poo

Jamie

The last set up is interesting. What termination knot is that holding both bineres. The no-clanking is nice, but it looks like you have to disconnect both biners to go around a limb. Is that a problem re time spent vs other setups which only require one unhook/rehook?

I don't know its proper name, I just devised it for this application. It is just the double-eyed scaffold knot. It is the nature of this knot that the eyes don't overly bind to the carabiner when in use like a scaffold will. So it actually is easy to disengage either carabiner for a redirect when necessary, not dissimilar to a hitch climber.

The reason I came up with this configuration is because it set the hitch at the same distance from me as a tail-tied system and felt very familiar in use.

Dave

I don't know its proper name, I just devised it for this application. It is just the double-eyed scaffold knot. It is the nature of this knot that the eyes don't overly bind to the carabiner when in use like a scaffold will. So it actually is easy to disengage either carabiner for a redirect when necessary, not dissimilar to a hitch climber.

The reason I came up with this configuration is because it set the hitch at the same distance from me as a tail-tied system and felt very familiar in use.

Dave

Cool. I'd like to try it. Could probably play around and cipher the knot, but do you have any pics etc for tying it??

I think I have posted these before, but not sure where.

Anyway, here you go.

Dave

Attachments

• tandem hitch 005.jpg
    tandem hitch 005.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 7
  • tandem hitch 007.jpg
    tandem hitch 007.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 6
  • tandem hitch 008.jpg
    tandem hitch 008.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 7
  • tandem hitch 009.jpg
    tandem hitch 009.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 6
  • tandem hitch 010.jpg
    tandem hitch 010.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 7
Thanks alot, Dave, for that speedy info! Did you invent that knot?

Thanks alot, Dave, for that speedy info! Did you invent that knot?

If it works and you like it, Hell yeah. :)

If you think it sucks, then I'll say "there are probably no new knots, just reacquaintence with previously used turns". :P

Dave

Back