Carabiner

• Thread starter klimbinfool
  • Start date
  • Replies 114
  • Views 12K
K

klimbinfool

I have an idea for modifying a carabiner and would like to know what the most widley used (prefered) is.

Myself, I like the HMS style tri act.for tieing off my VT.

Greg

I also prefer HMS style biners for tying off my VT. What kind of modifications do you have in mind?

Actually, I have been using the Rock Exotica Pirate biner in place of an HMS lately to anchor my VT, and I've been pretty happy with it. It's a nice biner.

HMS. Still favor the little ISC's. Though the upcomer on the market, those US climbing HMS, tria-act biners are just as good as Petzl and half the price.

Actually, I have been using the Rock Exotica Pirate biner in place of an HMS lately to anchor my VT, and I've been pretty happy with it. It's a nice biner.

+1...,.plus I like the Petzl OK, which is a tad easier to use with less tension in the spring.

I prefer Petzl Am'D ball lockers. Tri-acts have that little edge that catches on stuff and bangs my knuckles every time I slide my ascenders up when I'm footlocking.

I know a lot of folks don't like ball locks but I've not had a problem with them yet.

Been using the Petzl Am'D Triact for years, my favorite for a rock solid life support attachment. I've also used the Black Diamond Positron (non locking and screw lock) for an accessory biner and sometimes on my lanyard. Same basic shape as the Am'D but much smaller and lighter. Not available in an autolock though. :(

34565_m.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now Rumination, I cant quite tell you that. If I tell ya, I would loose the idea to someone else. But I can tell you, the modification would be for your VT or what ever your using. It would have to be done by the manufacture.

Gotcha. I understand the fellow that runs Rock Exotica is willing to redesign products based on input from his clients. Frans has mentioned working with him in the past. I don't think you'll readily get as much collaboration from the larger manufacturers.

Now Rumination, I cant quite tell you that. If I tell ya, I would loose the idea to someone else. But I can tell you, the modification would be for your VT or what ever your using. It would have to be done by the manufacture.

That's why we have the Private Elders forum ;).

jp:D

Not that Im trying to sway you one way or tother but I came out in the open here with the Wraptor pretty early on and am so glad I did because the feedback and encouragement have made the whole ordeal do-able:)

Petzl OKs with the hitch climber right now. Is anybody climbing with all on one carabiner or is two seperates still the popular setup? I started with spliced eye and vt all on one HMS then switched to two Am'D style. Thinking about going back to one, less crap clinking around.

Thanks Paul, I totally understand. I have been thinking about this for years and it may be something or nothing. I dont know yet until I make a proto out a steel one.

Mainly, I just wanted to see if theres a majority of what people like and why they like them. The KN rating isn't my issue, but the shape and size.

Greg

Sorry , I know this should be on the gear forum.

what I would like to see if folks dont mind, is your climbing set up to your saddle. This would be a great help as to the different varieties people use other than myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this show enough? The pear-screw-link at the bottom goes to my Ness.

Attachments

• PICT0003 (2).JPG
    PICT0003 (2).JPG
    697.7 KB · Views: 13
Hopefully this is clear enough to make out Greg. Setup for quite some time, standard 3 wrap VT with the petzl tri-act carabiners.

jp:D

Attachments

• DSCN2573.JPG
    DSCN2573.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 113
No, thats perfect, thats what I want to see....Thanks

Pantheraba, what the heck was your name again ?....and you pic is good to just what I want...Thankyou

looks like a for of a Distel ?

Here's mine, you've seen it before in NOLA...

Hitch_1.jpg

Hitch_2.jpg

Hitch_3.jpg

Sometimes that termination biner is a steel screw lock so I can chunk it better.

NOLA ? Must have been climber clearences ? didnt bust your ass to bad did I ?.....lol

Back