Anyone know if this will work instead of a carabiner on the hitch hiker?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F-EpLAR05gE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
idk - the expert at treestuff says not so much with this use of the quickie. might have to investigate...

that hh is different

You guys would not believe how many different HHs Paul has made. That one was milled from aluminum block. Very light and easy to make, but the contact patch for the dogbone on the one I had showed wear almost immediately. The one Paul sent me also came with a locking D shackle, this was quite a while ago.
I can only guess that Richard has spent more time thinking about climbing with this than actually climbing. The change from being able to open the carabiner with one hand to needing two with the shackle was not a good addition. When removing the pin the saddle bridge would want to collapse taking the shackle with it. Plus it would not work with a pulley.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe it's just me, but I've never quite been dexterous enough to open that carabiner one-handed and thread through both slots and capture the rope without grabbing the hh with my off-hand, or pushing it against a branch/trunk/something. Is there a trick?

When I speak of one-handing the HH2 carabiner, I am referring to removing the carabiner/HH2 as a unit from my bridge and passing it through a redirect. This is a simple one-handed movement as long as the carabiner opens at the bridge ring. Separating the carabiner from the HH2 is something that normally only happens on the ground, at the beginning or end of a climb, and that DOES take two hands.

When I speak of one-handing the HH2 carabiner, I am referring to removing the carabiner/HH2 as a unit from my bridge and passing it through a redirect. This is a simple one-handed movement as long as the carabiner opens at the bridge ring. Separating the carabiner from the HH2 is something that normally only happens on the ground, at the beginning or end of a climb, and that DOES take two hands.

Hey, Dave! If you don't mind my asking, when you talk about disconnecting the Hitch Hiker from your bridge and passing it through a redirect, are you talking about a redirect that you can reach out and touch with your hands? Or are you sometimes willing to attempt to pass the Hitch Hiker system through a redirect that is remote from you? It would really save a lot of time and trouble for me if I knew with certainty that I could reliably accomplish that feat. I guess up to now I've just been fearful of getting the system jammed up in a crotch, and then finding myself unable to get it free from such a jam.

Do you ever tie mid-line stopper knots above and below the system before attempting a redirect in order to "lock" the system in place on the climbing line, to allow you the chance to manipulate the system back and forth, if necessary? Being able to successfully manage to get the Hitch Hiker system through remote redirects without getting it hung up would be a game-changer for me with regard to my use of the Hitch Hiker.

Please forgive me if I've already asked these questions before. I just don't remember raising these issues with anyone before this, and as near as I can tell, you are absolutely the biggest fan of the Hitch Hiker climbing system on the planet. I just figured, if anyone has tried to do what I'm proposing, you probably have. I'm just wondering how successful the technique might be for you if you have tried it.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Tim

Tying the HH into an overhand on a bight may give the benefits of an asymetrical European Death Knot EDK. I slide the HH down the rope, to be able to toss it through a crotch, and being sure that I have the tail in order to manipulate it and pull it back to me, not leaving me stuck by losing the climbing line.

Often, if you slide it down the rope, into a bight, without a knot, you can get the similar results for a nearby re-direct that is out of reach.

Midline knot for me also and clip the carabiner to it. I pass the HH2 through remote redirects all the time, Tim, but you do need to give it some thought. First it has to be open enough that success seems reasonable. Then you need to pull enough rope through the HH before you tie your midline knot so that you can keep both ends. Sometimes it won't go through on the first try so you need to have each end to pull it back away and give it another try. This is something that the HH shines at because it is so tuff and compact. No worries about bending anything, just give it a flip and jam it through.

Tying the HH into an overhand on a bight may give the benefits of an asymetrical European Death Knot EDK. I slide the HH down the rope, to be able to toss it through a crotch, and being sure that I have the tail in order to manipulate it and pull it back to me, not leaving me stuck by losing the climbing line.

Often, if you slide it down the rope, into a bight, without a knot, you can get the similar results for a nearby re-direct that is out of reach.

I tie a midline knot and clip the HH biner in it.

Midline knot for me also and clip the carabiner to it. I pass the HH2 through remote redirects all the time, Tim, but you do need to give it some thought. First it has to be open enough that success seems reasonable. Then you need to pull enough rope through the HH before you tie your midline knot so that you can keep both ends. Sometimes it won't go through on the first try so you need to have each end to pull it back away and give it another try. This is something that the HH shines at because it is so tuff and compact. No worries about bending anything, just give it a flip and jam it through.

Thanks for all of these great answers, Sean, Peter and Dave. It is all really good food for thought. I will give all of these techniques a try before it is all said and done. I'll try first with crotches that are fairly wide open, and get a feel for how well it works for me. I'll also try to plan to have an alternative way to get to the system in case I do inadvertently manage to get it wedged hard into a crotch. Thanks again for all of the great advice.

Tim

:thumbup:

You always can tie a Blake's hitch or tautline hitch with your tail if your device gets jammed, allowing to you get up to it.

Back