Canola and chain brake function

woodworkingboy asked: "Like the idea of the "heat gun". Wonder where to find something like that?"

Hopefully I'm about to leave a link to a results page for a search on Amazon.com on the search term "infra-red electrical inspection tool".

There are some relatively cheap heat guns that just give a number on an LCD screen as to the temperature the tool is looking at, and at the expensive end of the scale (in excess of $5,000.00) there are the test instruments that provide a thermal image that makes it easy to actually see the areas where the heat is building up excessively. There is a range in between, I guess, but mostly the high-end stuff would be way more than an average Joe would want to spend.

If I were you I'd probably entertain the idea of owning one from the bottom end, up to maybe a few hundred dollars, depending on how I felt about the features offered on the instruments.

Of course, these are results for Amazon USA, and you might need to try to find some similar provider for your area of the world. It makes me wonder if Amazon has a distribution network set up in Japan already.

Thanks for listening.

Tim

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=infra-red+electrical+inspection+tool

Last edited:
FLIR makes an app for I phones, I think it is FLIR anyway, maybe it is an Apple App. But it turns your phone into a Thermal Imaging Camera. Maybe you need an extra device to make it work on your phone, I dont know. They are pretty accurate.

The thermal cameras we use in the fire departments are 4500 up to 15,000 dollars. Interestingly, the new ones we got were 5 grand, and better than the 12,000 dollar one we have.

Gawd, they must add 500% if it is for a fire dept.

One of these on your phone could indicate if your bar is getting hot using an off market oil? (back on topic, I think?)!

Back