Cadillac question.

High Scale

Trust fund lobbyist.
Finally got these a couple of weeks ago, I find them very comfortable but I did add this bolt and washer to keep the pads on.

Is this a good idea or are the pads designed to move around a little?

I am used to the standard L shaped pads which allowed a lot of movement but also made my legs ache after a while, the Cadillacs are great but with my mod, allow little movement.

Attachments

• SP_A0803.jpg
    SP_A0803.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 13
Carl, they will move some. The upper strap will keep the pads secure to the shank, though you would want to always refasten the straps so the pads stay put when you are packing them around...if you hadn't bolted them, that is.

Butch bolted his caddies on, too. I've never seen anyone else do that, but if you like it that way, I guess there's no reason not to.

I wouldn't because I wouldn't want to drill a hole in the shank, but that's just me.

They are so much better than the old pads you had...you are going to love them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cheers Burn, I didn't drill them I used the existing holes in the shanks.

I will try the without bolts and see if that suits me better.

Ahhh, that was smart. You mean the tapped holes...that will not weaken the shank at all, which was my concern with a through-drilled hole. Probably unfounded...Butch hasn't busted his yet :).

Edit: I see looking closer that you have steel shanks...I was thinking of my aluminum Bashlins. Less concern there, self drilled holes or not. Anyway, try 'em without and see how they go for you.

Mine are still holding up! I also got tired of the upper strap coming loose, too. The cable tie you're using won't last very long. I used a screwdriver and a hammer to bend the metal loopie thingie on the spur shank so it would bite the strap amd hold it secure.

Attachments

• bolted.JPG
    bolted.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 111
I've seen a few pairs that people brought into our shop that had broken due to a hole drilled in the shank. While the strap will hold the pad onto the shank, it isn't a perfect fit and does rattle around a bit. The bolt will definitely eliminate this, just make sure not to enlarge any of the holes that are already there to avoid weakening the shank.

I've seen a few pairs that people brought into our shop that had broken due to a hole drilled in the shank. While the strap will hold the pad onto the shank, it isn't a perfect fit and does rattle around a bit. The bolt will definitely eliminate this, just make sure not to enlarge any of the holes that are already there to avoid weakening the shank.

Uh oh, Sean...you have just placed yourself on my side of the "don't drill a hole in your Bashlin's shank" debate. :lol: That means Butch will think you are a worrywart weanie. :whine: But nevermind, to quote the man, "Imma wildman!", and he is...a fine one at that, too! :lol:

Nothing compares to the Geckos, comfortwise....

My Kleins with Caddy pads are collecting dust, but I cant bring myself to part with them either!

I never bolted mine, just let the strap hold caddies on the shank.

Mine aren't bolted, and there is a little bit movement between the shank and the pad. So long as there's no movement between the pad and your leg, it shouldn't hurt.
Caddies are the best, I don't even have to pull the upper straps really tight like I did on every other pads I ever owned.

I thought this thread was about something like this:

Attachments

• pimp.jpg
    pimp.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 47
just change my Velcros to caddy's today going to see how they work out Saturday

Attachments

• DSC02168.JPG
    DSC02168.JPG
    342.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Caddy's rule, that's all I ever used in the bush. Never knew what they were called until the internet. Never bolted them either, the rule carved in stone was doing the straps back up after you were done with them.

Back