Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Hi-ranger

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • other

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

okietreedude

Treehouser
The Mrs gave me the go-ahead to start researching purchase of a bucket truck!

Which model of lift do you prefer and why?

I am looking at a forestry unit (chip box).

Thanks,

IMO stick with the more popular brands. They are popular for a reason. Altec, Aerial Lift of Conn., etc.

Here's my old beauty. Only bucket I've had so far. You are completely aware that the forestry unit is a compromise on both ends right? Less reach with the boom than a rear mount and less chip hauling capacity than a dedicated chip truck. But of course the beauty of it is that it is a lift and chip hauler in one and has worked out well for me so far. But my plan is to upgrade to a short wheelbase rearmount one day.

My Versalift boom has been great so far. Only boom I know of that has fiberglass rods and chains for the bucket levelling, no replacement schedule for them. Both upper and lower over center, can't remember exactly how far off the top of my head but enough. It's a 90 VO-55, 55' working height.

Good luck and happy shopping!8)

Attachments

• IMG_0962.JPG
    IMG_0962.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 149
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As much as Id like to go new, Im going to start looking used.

I do realize the inefficiency of loosing the bucket to dump the chips,but I do have a chip truck if need be. Im going the route to reduce the need to have 3 trucks on a job site unless absolutely needed. I can take my chip truck and pull my trailer w/ skid and stumper on it if need be and load wood into the chip truck and bury the wood w/ chips.

That's my set-up, one ton and dump trailer with the mini/stumpgrinder and my forestry unit pulling the chipper. My truck loaded with chips pulling a 250xp is slowwwwwwwwww.

My current set is an F350 chip truck pullinga vermeer 1250 and an F350 flat bed pulling a 14' trailer w/ mini and 252 stumper. the trailer doesnot dump.

something funny about this, she asked me last nite during the conversation where i would look for one....and today the tree and landscape equipment trader came in the mail.

I voted for Aerial Lift of CT as that's all I've ever owned. Their mobile service truck comes once a year to do the inspection and any maintenance that is due. Other than that, I've never had any problems with their lifts. I purchased my first one used around 1993 and the other two were brand new in 1998 and 2000. I'm about ready to sell my 2000 International 4700 if you're interested. It has the AL 60/50 with the forestry body.

Having owned several and operated many more, I like the Altec's most of all, followed by A-Conn.

anything w/o over-center ability will sooner or later become a pain in your ass.

Better to have too much working height than not enough- once in a great while, shorter booms come in handy, but far more often you'll like the extra reach- especially if you're not going rear-mount.

Ditto on both points Erik made. I was worried about my current boom being too tall for working some jobs but it has not been an issue. The extra reach has been a huge advantage, as well as the extra maneuverability with the lower boom boing over center (old truck the lower boom only goes to 90 degrees).

I voted for Aerial Lift of CT as that's all I've ever owned. Their mobile service truck comes once a year to do the inspection and any maintenance that is due. Other than that, I've never had any problems with their lifts.

Ditto. Workhorse of a dependable truck backed by great service.

Best boom I ever ran was my Skyworker. 170 degrees of lower boom movement, 270 degrees on the upper. Could almost fold it over in reverse!

But alas, it was only a 50 footer.

I think you just haven't had enough experience with the newer trucks, Butch. I know the one guy you climb for has one that's got some problems, but I suspect his truck isn't representative of all newer bucket trucks.

My Mat 70, kicks ass on all that I have owned previously, Hi ranger, asplundh & Altec, Out of my limited experience a rear mt hi ranger would be my second choice, although my 60' Altec material handler makes for a mighty nice mini crane

Attachments

• 07-01Ellmremoval26.JPG
    07-01Ellmremoval26.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 07-01Ellmremoval3.JPG
    07-01Ellmremoval3.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 07-01Ellmremoval13.JPG
    07-01Ellmremoval13.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 07-01Ellmremoval27.JPG
    07-01Ellmremoval27.JPG