Bucket Chainsaw Scabbard; Inside or out?

Bucket Chainsaw Scabbard

• Inside the bucket

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Outside the bucket

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
i prefer it on the outside but the heavy duty ones seem designed for inside only so thats how we do it

I didn't vote but I have seen some buckets really chewed up by saws,mercy. Bad enough they have to install a liner in them.:(

mines good and still has a liner, easier to clean out and easier/cheaper to replace.
i voted outside since thats how i like it

I've preferred inside. Outside is more convenient to stow and pull the saw, but I occasionally found myself having to move the scabbard around so I could squeeze through tight spots in the canopy.

love
nick

I like this one Butch, I just got a 75' bucket truck, and I never had a scabbard before on other trucks. I tried outside the other day, it made me nervous about dropping a, 800.00 dollar bill, so I went to inside. I Don't know which is the proper way just yet. ( By the by, I sure like this truck, 65' of main boom with a 10' elevator, damn nice.) I'll have some action pics here soon.:thumbup:

I've seen some of the trimmers use a snap off lanyard to attempt from dropping their saws. That would give you a sour feeling watching a 700 dollar saw self destruct. It also might slow a person down from launching one that didn't start once too often.Better to get on the ground and run over with a truck to punish it.:|:

dropped a saw once when the cheap scabbard broke, a 44 and the bar speared into the ground from 15 or 20 feet, no damage. i use a lanyard most times in the bucket

Inside. Too easy to bump the outside against the tree or other obstacle and crush your saw.

Wiley P, congrats on the bucket truck! You are now required to post pictures immediately in the OCGD thread. :P

Squishey, do yourself a favor and buy or build a scabbard. The fiberglass ones are nice but expensive, and you need the ones with the wear pads built in or else they get chewed up too fast. Or you can make one out of plywood, and Andrew has shown how to make one out of 4"-6" pvc pipe.

Never thought about putting it on the outside lol.

I don't use anything other than the hydraulic saw most days...

Inside. I recently had to rebuild mine as it got all chewed up and finally fell apart. As long as you make sure the chain has stopped before you put it in (which is what I do now) it is not getting chewed up.

Inside. Too easy to bump the outside against the tree or other obstacle and crush your saw.

Wiley P, congrats on the bucket truck! You are now required to post pictures immediately in the OCGD thread. :P

Squishey, do yourself a favor and buy or build a scabbard. The fiberglass ones are nice but expensive, and you need the ones with the wear pads built in or else they get chewed up too fast. Or you can make one out of plywood, and Andrew has shown how to make one out of 4"-6" pvc pipe.

Brian my syntax does suggest that "I" own the new rig. Not the case. The outfit I am siderod for asked me what I wanted for the crews this year. I wanted a medium shovel, or a debris truck. But the smart play was getting a good bucket. My friend Tom owns the rig as well as his company. Since he trusts me with Safety, Production, and his food on his family table I often feel a sense of ownership with all that responsibility. Shit I wish I could get a 100k and change together for a truck.

Pics are coming maybe tonight.

I voted inside as I don't have a scabbard so the outside isn't even a option.
Do your boots get nicked up badly?
Make the homemade bucket scabbard man! A length of 6" PVC pipe, a little cutting, a little baking in the oven, and a little molding. I heard about it here, and if I ever get a bucket of my own, I'll try it. Maybe a bit of trial and error to get it right, but it's waay cheaper than a real scabbard, and I'll bet it's pretty durable.
I'd worry about the saw handle getting snagged by a stick and pulled out of the scabbard, getting smashed against the tree, or being dropped if stowed outside the bucket.

Yah it basically sucks not having one, something I need to get on here right away. I think it was Steve Hansen who had some decent plans on that? Steve was it you?

Back