Broken water pipe

...much easier to be a pro when everything runs sweet ... A true professional can deal with those rare days when things don't ...

It just seems odd .The water lines in these parts are a minimum of 36" and most deeper . I think mine coming from the wells [plural ] are at 4 feet .

Now I had one break a few years back but that was because of the vibration of the submersable pump working on the plastic line next to the pitless adapter in the well casing since 1973 .It wasn't hard to find, water rising to the surface .

I once tipped a chunk out of a fir that crack a 3 inch water main on a steep slope. It looked like old faithful when it erupted out of the ground. What a surprise that was.

The municipal mains in these parts are down at least five feet .Deep as that is though under certain conditions like a long hard freeze with sunshine afterwards they burst .The sun drives the frost deeper in roadways for some unknown reason . Strange but true .

Talk about a hole wow .A 16" main can erode a hole large enough to swallow a semi in about a couple hours .

Typically here, 18" is the spec but rarely are anything but the main lines that deep

That pipe I broke was about 4' deep. The developments service crew had it up and running in less than two hours. Being it pretty much did all the digging for them.

No where near that, Willie. Maybe a 20 foot by 30 inch chuck from 60 feet, landed right on end. The funny part was it didn't come to light until 20 minutes later when I was on the ground. No charge for the repair. Boy, those were the good old days.

Back