Brendonv's Custom Chip Box Build

I'm a Lincoln welder fan. My Wirematic 255 had two knobs: volts and wire speed in inches per minute. The Miller that we had at work, which was supposed to be some super fancy mig, had two knobs on front, and I think three switches under the door. These knobs, with the exception of the "power" one, were not infinitely variable. It was a real pain in the ass to get it set up right. The Lincoln, you just said OK, I'm welding 1/4", so that's 19 volts and 350 ipm and away you go. A friend of mine that knows welders said that the Miller is set up that way because it is cheaper than doing it right like the Lincoln. That's not to say that the Miller is junk, they just make it more complicated. I think Miller is heavily involved in supplying trade schools, so they get people trained on how to use them, and that's what they buy when they are ready for their own machine. I really liked my Wirematic, but the newer PowerMigs are even better. I also have an old AC/DC tombstone that is great. My TIG is a Miller, and older than I am.

I'm a Lincoln welder fan. My Wirematic 255 had two knobs: volts and wire speed in inches per minute. The Miller that we had at work, which was supposed to be some super fancy mig, had two knobs on front, and I think three switches under the door. These knobs, with the exception of the "power" one, were not infinitely variable. It was a real pain in the ass to get it set up right. The Lincoln, you just said OK, I'm welding 1/4", so that's 19 volts and 350 ipm and away you go. A friend of mine that knows welders said that the Miller is set up that way because it is cheaper than doing it right like the Lincoln. That's not to say that the Miller is junk, they just make it more complicated. I think Miller is heavily involved in supplying trade schools, so they get people trained on how to use them, and that's what they buy when they are ready for their own machine. I really liked my Wirematic, but the newer PowerMigs are even better. I also have an old AC/DC tombstone that is great. My TIG is a Miller, and older than I am.

Thanks Dave. Good info. I think you are right about trade schools, and I bet Miller wire feeds out sell Lincoln by at least 2:1.

I have four Lincoln welders, a Ranger 305g, IdealArc 300 stick/tig, a tombstone, and a 225 weldanpower. I spect I could use a wire feed now!

I have heard that ESAB is the Cadillac of wire feeds though!:|:

Nice one Bud! My welding instructor in college used to say the same thing!

What do you think of your new Lincoln Willard? I have several Lincoln welders so I guess I am a Lincoln man. Everyone around here buys Miller wire feeds, but I always wanted to try a Lincoln.
Too early to tell Jim, I'm still the slave to the instructional DVD. My first time owning a mig.
I'm self taught on my Canadian Tire stick welder I bought about 25 yrs ago. Built my trailer unit with it over one winter off season about 10 years ago.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im putting a logo between the two front uprights. Just vinyl, die cut, typical sticker. There is 24" of length to work with there. Just like having it on your door.

Dang. I woulda bet you'da gotten those big plastic printed panels that would cover the whole bed. I'm trying to decide between those and the logo painted directly on the truck

love
nick

Planning for future resale? I plan on keeping the vehicle. The benefit of good signage, in my opinion, is WAY more than the $1,000 extra you might get on the resale.

love
nick

No plans for selling at the moment, but that day may come. My signs are 42"x76" and very well received. They were expensive but worth it. Corrugated plastic with an aluminum skin on one side.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396437744.817465.jpg

Removable signs are also replaceable on another vehicle. A consideration is if the vehicle will need to be painted with good service life in the sign.

If a guy was crafty, he could have lockable, removable signs that could stake out near the road if working out of sight. I work out of sight a LOT, with 5+ acre parcels in the country.

A bolt on sign doesn't take the vehicle out of service, across town, blah blah. Another consideration.

If you get in a wreck, and need to change trucks unexpectedly, you might salvage your signage.

Getting dirty all week, seems like its going to be a good year.

Really liking how its working out. Still need to do small odds and ends. I am also considering rebuilding the top, i put plywood on the roof temporarily until i make up my mind. There was a small design change i should have considered but hard to foresee what materials will be left. Turns out i have plenty of 3/16" alum skins, so ill utilize that. Might bump it up a hair higher too, get the chips to shoot nicer. Ill prob sell the current one on c list.

New guy chris having a ball.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 149
Too much fab work with head board configuration. Not worth the added work, also would over load truck. I've run that size truck for 6 years, and with the new gvw of the 2013 and the current bed config with tall tailgate is perfect for us. Me.

Whoa, March has been a trip so far, lots happening!

Back by popular? depand, round two of in house fabrication of an aluminum chipper body. I start with a TruckCraft TC501 heavy duty flat. 96"x110". This is going on a 2018 F550 XLT. 60" CA, I run short trucks and short beds.

Snow day today so cleared two trees from driveways, shoveled my roof, started a fire and went to tack'n.

This ones similar to the last, some material changes, i half lapped the bottom rail to the vertical uprights for better fit, finish, and easier moc up. This ones a one piece design, with a solid roof. 5.5' height, .190 skins, 1.5x3" rect tubing.

Ride along with me...8)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 58
Back