Brendonv's Custom Chip Box Build

I don't think he is planning to haul much wood. Unless I missed where he sold his grapple trailer.

Sure but you know it's going to happen at some point. Those last few chunks at the end of a long day where it's either come back for another load or stick them in the chip box.
I was just wondering because of the sheet stock B is using is 3/16" nice and beefy.

I hear ya. For sure rounds are gonna end up tossed in at some point if it were mine. You're wondering if it'll dent up easily?

Good on you bro.

Being able to build something such as this is so rewarding. Love to have friends who take on projects like this. I'd have to learn how it's done.....

That is what I am wondering. I like the idea of aluminum but durability has me gun shy. I want to get another year out of my current chip box so it will be good to see how things hold up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
1/8" will dent, but not that easy. Thats what my old one was, hauled plenty of wood. Itd take some doing to dent a 3/16 side. If needed you can line with something like 1/4" ply.

Not worried one bit, i was kinda like whoa when i saw how thick and heavy the side sheets are.

I got inspired seeing this build and bought a book on welding today.
My dad is retired cabinet maker built banks, stores and worked and trained with
some great craftsman from all over Europe. Never forget overhearing a discussion/argument
and deciding point was "a sign of great craftsman is how well he/she can hide their mistakes"
Wish you great success!
btw Aluminium is pretty sweet gotta love Stainless to

Steel is roughly three times denser than aluminium, but you need to go about 50% thicker on sections and sheet/plate to get the same strength.

Even taking that into account you should save at least one third in weight.

The real beauty of ally is its corrosion resistance, for example I almost never use box section steel because you can't coat/paint the inside of the section. Box section ally is great though, and if you ever need to alter your aluminium fabrication you don't need to worry about stripping the paint before welding and recoating when finished.

We throw logs into our truck all the time. It hasn't been dented by them yet. (Though it has been dented in one other way!)

Aluminum FTW

love
nick

Roof portion tacked. Will connect them in the middle after the bottom sides are mocked up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 119
Getting good with the Tig Brendon? You will be by the time you're done if not. Looks good. I am really happy with my Alum body.

Ya been practicing for a year. Built a few things, something for the bucket truck and the aluminum arbor trolley. Along with plenty in between. Both holding up great.

Back