Bobcat Forestry Cutter Attachment Safety Alert

Burnham

Woods walker
I rather doubt that even a few of the members here are into the type of work that this cutter is designed to perform, but on the off chance there is, I pass along this Alert that crossed my desk recently. It came from R2, Intermountan Region.

! SAFETY ALERT - BOBCAT FORESTRY CUTTER ATTACHMENT !

BACKGROUND:

The Bobcat Forestry Cutter is attached to skid steer loaders. The cutter is used throughout the Intermountain Region in the implementation of fuels reduction and habitat improvement projects. The implement is designed to remove trees and brush utilizing a rotary drum with 30 carbide teeth. Once the vegetation is exposed to the rotary drum it is reduced to a carpet of mulch.

SAFETY CONCERN:

After utilizing the Bobcat Forestry Cutter Attachment less than 80 hours, the integrity of the drum becomes compromised. The drum develops horizontal cracks above and below the cutter teeth. These cracks are difficult to catch in the infant stages because of the resin that accumulates on the rotary drum during operation. The cracks are easy to detect once they have become established. If the Bobcat Forestry Cutter Attachment is utilized once the integrity of rotary drum has been compromised, the drum has the potential to break apart. The shrapnel is thrown at high velocity in front and/or behind the machine. The pieces of rotary drum shrapnel thrown at this high velocity could cause serious injury or death if they were to strike personnel, serious damage could also result the skid steer.

Attached are photographs of cracks and resultant damage on the rotary drum of the Bobcat Forestry Cutter Attachment:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

This situation has occurred twice on the same Bobcat Forestry Cutter Attachment in since December 4, 2008. Our experience is that the cracks become evident on the rotary drum between 50 and 80 hours of use. The incident is not isolated to the Fishlake, a neighboring forest has had the same experience with the Bobcat Forestry Cutter Attachment. They since have removed this implement from their inventory.

The cost to replace the rotary drum is $9,000.00. Our first rotary drum was replaced under warranty, the second is being discussed at the higher levels of the Bobcat Coorporation.

A representative from Bobcat admitted to us that there is a serious design flaw on the Bobcat Forestry Cutter Attachment.

If additional information is needed in regards to our experience with the Bobcat Forestry Cutter Attachment, please contact myself or one of the following:

Ryan McCollin
Richfield Fuels Technician
435-896-1661

or

Wess Freeborn
Richfield Fuels Program Manger
435-896-1609

I've seen one in use (front mount fail forestry mower) the manufacturer was Abai (not sure of spelling or origin) ... definetely European maybe Italian ???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You are mistaken, at least with the bigger machines that I've worked with. Not flails, solid mounted teeth on a drum or on a disk, either one will do the trick.

Thanks Burnam.... That is good to know... We are considering the drum type mower/grinder attachment eventually for a tractor or dozer. Maybe a couple more years... They keep clamping down and are limiting burning here in CA. There will come a day when we are probably going to have to grind everything for fuel reduction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Check out that Slashbuster before you buy, Stephen. Really works a treat, and a good operator can finesse the work to an amazing degree.

Not cheap though.

Non of them are... Thanks for the tip.. A good forestry mower in the form of a track driven unit with a blade (as in dozer blade) if you want start at 80,000. We will be looking at optional attachments for other equipment :D

Last edited:
A guy that I sub out forestry mowing to has 2 asv rc 100 and 1 gyrotrac highflow head. He has to have two power units to keep one machine up and running. He has burned one to the ground already and last year he called us to help him work on a project that he had buried his machine cab deep in. There is money to be made but he spends a ton on maintenance.

The gyrotrac head is where its at, planer teeth reduce trees to very small chips.

That seems to be the answer... We have a couple here mounted on excavators... I would like something a bit more lower in center of gravity for our terrain here. But you can do a lot of terrain with an excavator. Still going to have hand crews, but they can get it to where the machine can handle it.