Blown 394xp

No_Bivy

Treehouser
Saw blew on big take down last week.......I already replaced with 66. Missing the longer bar it has...42"

Is it worth fixing or should I sell for parts?

How bad is it? I fixed mine, but I was able to salvage the jug. It ended up blowing big time on me when the aftermarket circlip came off and the pin caught in a port. If it's just a stuck piston, it might be worth the money to fix. If it needs crank bearings, that's a bit more work. I might be interested in parts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll pull the muffler and look in.......

What's it's worth? I'd like to mod they bar to put on 66 but that doesn't look easy.

Can't pull cord by the way.....

Don't panic just yet .It could be as simple as it swallowed something that got stuck in the tranfers .It's not all that odd ,it happens .

Pull the muffler and spark plug and determine where it might be stuck .

What were the symptoms when it "blew"? Did it spool up and "pop" or did it just quit? And noises when it happened?

With any luck a bolt/screw came loose and jammed behind the flywheel. Take a look at the jug and if not scored then pull the starter cover and look behind the flywheel.

Pulled muffler
Cylinder and piston scored

You have options .After market piston /cylinder 230 bucks.Used 75 via flea bay .New rings on the used and new seals both .250 with new ,probabley 110 or so on used .

I surfed on baileys but couldn't seem to find it, where are you looking ?

You have more options .If the cylinder will clean up Northwood sells a Meteor piston for less than 50 bucks ,seals are about 5 a pop .

I did the long math. Squish is close to being right. Its cheaper not to do what he said, UNLESS you put a value on your time. Then, his proposition is truly the most sensible. I did alllllll the math. Rough sale value, new saw cost, amount saved on actual tax sheet by purchasing new 395, cost of parts, hours invested, etc. Plus, the difference between a full overhaul, financially, and going Squish's route, is very narrow at the years end. Whats your time worth? You Busy? You enjoy tinkering?

It just depends on who's doing it .It wouldn't take me all that long but I'd take a more cheap route provided the parts are in good shape .

On the other hand if a shop did a complete rebuild you'd have nearly the price of a new saw in it .

I did the long math. Squish is close to being right. Its cheaper not to do what he said, UNLESS you put a value on your time. Then, his proposition is truly the most sensible. I did alllllll the math. Rough sale value, new saw cost, amount saved on actual tax sheet by purchasing new 395, cost of parts, hours invested, etc. Plus, the difference between a full overhaul, financially, and going Squish's route, is very narrow at the years end. Whats your time worth? You Busy? You enjoy tinkering?

Did you include the time it took to calculate all of that?

Gonna donate it to local farm school tree crew. They are interested in trying to rebuild. Already replaced it with 66

That is a cool way to go. I taught high school once and my Chevy truck needed an engine. Mr. Philips in "auto shop" had a solution for me.

He had the kids take my engine out. A Chevy truck had fallen off a train in Lithia Spings (no idea how THAT happens) and they donated the truck to our high school.

He had the kids install the brand new engine in my truck and I used it while they rebuilt my engine...Win-Win. The engine rebuild was fine, he watched over the boys doing it and we all came out ahead.

You are helping those guys out...good stuff.

I second what Gary mentions. Shop classes are being eliminated in a lot of places, may have all but disappeared from high schools in California by now. It is believed by some schools of thought that the theories and practicality behind using your hands to work, and the pride of accomplishment that comes from it, are things of a bygone era. Somehow it has been forgotten that learning those ways of working are attributes that can positively serve a person during their whole life. Even though the by far vast majority of people in high school will never go on to a college or university education, the high school administrators are graded on how well they succeed in offering curriculum to prepare for it. There isn't thought to be much good in offering education that promotes manual skills, those sorts of classes have become seen as a burden on the system. My junior high wood shop teacher, Mr. Verhoeven, was very inspirational in more ways than just about woodwork. He was always there for us kids, an old school straight guy that encouraged and brought out effort, and you could talk with him.

Nice choice of what to do with the saw.

Back