Blown 394xp

I second what Gary mentions. Shop classes are being eliminated in a lot of places, may have all but disappeared from high schools in California by now. It is believed by some schools of thought that the theories and practicality behind using your hands to work, and the pride of accomplishment that comes from it, are things of a bygone era. Somehow it has been forgotten that learning those ways of working are attributes that can positively serve a person during their whole life. Even though the by far vast majority of people in high school will never go on to a college or university education, the high school administrators are graded on how well they succeed in offering curriculum to prepare for it. There isn't thought to be much good in offering education that promotes manual skills, those sorts of classes have become seen as a burden on the system. My junior high wood shop teacher, Mr. Verhoeven, was very inspirational in more ways than just about woodwork. He was always there for us kids, an old school straight guy that encouraged and brought out effort, and you could talk with him.

Nice choice of what to do with the saw.

The shop classes are a shadow of what they were when I was in high school. SAD! That is were I learned how to weld, work sheet metal, run lathes/mills/drill presses, auto repair, and wood working.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool decision. Generous. Why on earth a 66 over a 395?

Cuz husky suck ......tired of fricken with them.

I think the exhaust contributed to its bun up. Looks like a leak ther from evidence of carbon build up.

They have the time to fix it...and they need it.

A good 066 is a good saw. Haven't heard much excitement about the 660. Good deal, they will learn a lot fixing that saw up, and have a beast when it's done.

Shop probably taught me as much or more than the academic courses. Probably klutzs getting hurt is part of the down sizing trend. Lawsuits and all.

I remember a kid pushing down hard on a board on the belt sander. The belt was kind of loose and the fence was kind of worn. The board got under the fence and that tensioned the belt up good. It launched the board into a corner me and another kid were standing in with bullet like velocity. Ricocheted a couple time and everything got real quiet. The kid sanded his finger tips pretty good. The teacher actually was guilty of letting the sander get in that condition. Not that you should push down that hard. Today it might have been a lawsuit.

Never thought about the lawsuit aspect with regard to shop being eliminated. Probably right though. Those courses were probably the only time in most people's lives where they could get the chance to use such a well equipped workshop. I know the shop that I most remember had primo machinery, Northfield, the best available at the time. Those days there were healthy budgets for the equipment needed, and maintaining it. I remember one advanced wood shop student made a beautiful crossbow. I doubt they would even let you do that now, figure you'd be quite possibly using it to terrorize the cafeteria or something when the project was completed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I gave them the saw today.....they name all their saws so I dubbed it " 9 lives"

I saw a kid feed a board in the wrong direction on a 12" radial arm saw and launch it right through a metal door .Our shop teacher in Vo-ag was so inept it was myself and my buddy Ray who actually taught arc welding .

Back