Better odds to keep trees from getting hung up

Lots of walking trees down with this current job, I notice that when first cutting through the compression side, if done at a relatively steep angle downward, you can generally get further through the tree before the cut starts to close, compared to cutting straight across. The trip and slide off goes easier too with less backchaining, just don't have any body parts in the way as it drops off quick..

FWIW...
If I read you right, Jay, you have a top bind closing down as you cut vertically, or somewhat vertically, diagonal to the grain.

Reaming (repeatedly plunging as you cut into the compression wood) the cut will allow you to keep the kerf open without wedges (barring sidebinds), as the kerf closes at the top of the log creates the effect of having the wedges in place, in that the bar doesn't get pinched in the kerf. No backchaining required.

I find this easier to cut higher up the log, getting more drop. A longer bar can be used more easily, as you don't have to lift to backchain.

When the cut trips, the saw in already coming downward (ready to go out), and you can be standing and leaning farther away, ready to exit the area, as compared to lifting for backchaining, IME.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Never thought of reaming in this situation, but your depiction sounds real good, Sean . The part about cutting higher up is an excellent point, plus the added ability to step back an instant quicker to get out of the way. I'm going to try that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A name that starts with a G or a B......it could be a number of experienced gentlemen in the treehouse.

Let's not forget our overseas friends, boys. Stig's trick of boring a square hole through the tree so as to insert a long pole/lever is sure to impress the heck out of my foreman one of these days!:P

And watch out for the swinging end of the pole...when the tree rolls out, the far end of a 12 foot pole is flying at warp speed.

Just be on the back side of it, pushing, not pulling.
Even a dumb treefaller should be able to figure that one out.
At least I was.
See, I still got all my teeth:D

Back