Best type of rope for footlocking?

• Thread starter Widow Shooter
  • Start date
  • Replies 12
  • Views 3K
W

Widow Shooter

I've been learning footlocking for the last week or so to make myself a more adaptable climber...:) the question I have is what type of rope do you prefer?

A slightly stiffer, more abrasion resistant, or a more limp, softer rope?

brands would be appreciated, thanks.8)

I agree, snakebite is static and looks extremely cool to boot.

BUT... If you only have one rope, Snakebite limits you to SRT. If you like DdRT then Poison Ivy or Velocity.
Velocity is better for footlocking but PI is better when you're tied in with a split tail.

I like PI, good all around rope.

Anything that grabs my feet. When I foot lock, it's on what ever is set in the tree at the moment

Anyone with experience using the new "Lava" rope. I think similar to PI.
I recently imported a bunch for some people, but they don't have enough experience to offer comparisons.

If I remember correctly, I think the world record was set on Velocity, which a lot of folks prefer for footlocking because of the "suregrip" coating. It's a waxy coating that makes it sort of tacky so it grips well around the feet. However, I've had some complaints that this stuff can cause problems when desceding on a hitch because it accumulates in the knot. It does go away with use though.

Sean, that was one of the problems with the older version. I believe they limited the amount of tackiness in the last couple of years to prevent some of those problems.

Tachyon, Blaze, Velosity, Lava. Many of the 24 strand ropes are good to footlock on because of thier low stretch.Once you set a line above 40' is when you really notice the difference. The preference is in the climber and how well he can footlock. Myself, I like Tachyon seems to work well for footlocking and work line.

With the ever changing of ropes and gear folks will be looking at something different in a year or two kinda like computers.Does it make a climber any better? perhaps but, if one becomes proficiant at one technique using 16 or 12 strand, than the newer gadgets and ropes make life so much more sweeter and than you can really tell people the diffrerence.

Greg

Back