best small saw now!

• Thread starter robdog
  • Start date
  • Replies 77
  • Views 9K
I like, and use the light 14" bar. But I have noticed that it flexes alot and can make a crooked cut if I am not carefull. Also flipping chunks out and away does not work as well as a stiffer bar.
But the light bar is still my favorite.

My 192 came with a narrow kerf bar and I had a bunch of trouble with it and changed to the same bar and chain as the 200T has. The 192 has a little trouble pulling the larger chain but at least it doesn't break all the time. I should have just bought another 200T when I got the 192T.

Speaking of chain size,a question .I'm asking cause I don't know .How does a person or is it possible to convert an 020 T to run .325 chain ???

That danged 3/8 " lo pro-pico whatever only comes in semi as far as I know and for what what I'm going to try to do I need to file a faster chain than is possible using that type .

Is that where they mill out the middle of the bar and then put an aluminum piece in there? I'll get it here pretty quick.:?

Steve, the middle of the bar is a composite resin. I've been using the lite bars for years now, they are the only ones I've run on my 200T's. They are pricey at about $50 each but they last a long time and they weigh almost nothing. A lot less strain on your wrist if you run your saw one handed all the time (don't tell anybody).
;)

Butch, you can order it from any Stihl dealer. I told you about them before but you dismissed them because they were only available in 14". The Stihl part number is 3005 000 7409 (I think, bad eyes).

Ooops, edited to add that I just clicked on BB's link and it appears that they are now available in 12" and 16". The part number for the 16" is 3005 000 7413

The lite bar is a definate plus with a 020. However I deal with hardwoods 95% of the time and the speed of cutting and ability to chase the cut using a 12in bar is unrivaled, and the balance when cutting with one hand is a joy :)

saves 30% weight over a conventional 14 inch bar. worth the extra cash.

Butch, they have more flex but are tougher than you'd expect. You may need to quit using your guide bar as a pry bar but other than that they will last a long time.

I think the actual guide rails are harder than the regular bars. I'll go 6 months of hard use before I have enough of a burr to file off.

Back